It's been a week now...

salem4444
on 2/9/10 1:24 am - Canada
Hi everybody, I thought of making this post for all those pre-op  who are reading about what to expect around a week out.  And for me also, to not forget what I have been through to lose weight...But you have to remember that everybody is not the same, so it can be different for everyone... The doctor told me yesterday that some patients he saw were eating spaghetti at 2 weeks, and some other are still on jellos...so...

The first day, was blurry. Pain when I woke up, but they gave me medication right away.  Not much this day than sleeping, pain injection and IV. And some littles sponges for the mouth, nothing else. For the CO2 pain I found that being more seated than lying helped.

Second day, in the morning first time up for the bathroom, felt a little dizzy, but ok. After that, a leak test. They made me dring like 2 onces of kind of apple juice ( do not be  stressed by the big cup they are giving you, a few sips are ok...) then the scan. If it's ok after, you can have a few sip of water, a broth and a jello for meals... I didn't take anything else than the water...a little bit with my hypertension pills ( that you have to swallow, a little painful at first). I was not worried about dehydratation because of the IV, and the pain is ok, they give you pills or injections when you need it.

Third day I went home. Since no more IV, I tried to take some water, but what helped much was the jello with proteins ( recipe given by the nut at the pre op meeting) and some pospsicles with water and protein bullets. Sipping water or juice was really painful, because I had an irritation in the esophagus... Not much pain sitting or sleepin or walking ( was still taking pain killers) . But I got  big spasms when I drank, even if it was a very small drop. I was taking pantoloc ( acid reducer) once a day.

Days 4-5 almost the same thing, but each day was a little better in drinking ( 700 ml)

Day 6 more difficulty drinking, and pain. Tryed yogourt and pudding, too painful. And during those days the gases and burping are painful and I had a lot...

Day 7 , I saw the dr, and started taking pantoloc twice a day. Staples removed. Felt a little better, drank a Yop Yogourt with beneprotein, water with bullet, jello and popsicles. Still much movement of air in the belly...

Today, feeling much better. Stopped the pain killers yesterday. Was able to drin****d cooled water, juice, baby cereals. No more pain when I drink or eat liquids, if I do not forget to take real small sips. I can say I have no pain at all for the biggest part of the day, only a small incomfort on the left side of the abdomen..

So the first week is the worst, even if it was way better than I expected, and it passes very fast.

What I find difficult now is having nothing to do than watch tv, computer, etc... But friday the Olympics will begin, so at least something interesting on TV 

I am lucky I had no nausea at all. And when I feel hungry,  half a cup of jello will fill me up and I know I am full. It's just the beginning and the stomach is still swollen, but it is a good sign...

The thing to remember is to buy bullets ahead of time to be ready, make some protein popsicles or jellos. Protein is tough to take in the first days, but it helps getting back your strenght and healing well. Then post op, sip, walk, take your pain killers, and wait till the first week is over!

Have a nice day!
Diane

HW 320 SW 299  goal W 150 CW 138 (5' 7 " ) 
At Goal !!!

Gabriella21
on 2/9/10 12:36 pm - Roxboro, Canada
Hi Diane,
Can't believe that just being away from my computer for one day I missed sooooo much!
Diane Thanks for posting all this info...I've read that the first week has been called "hell week" by most post-op patients so the good thing is that it sounds "normal" what you and Kass are going through...so in my mind no worries.

It's hard to understand just how difficult it is to just get enough liquids down...you'd think water would just slide down. I read on other sites to help ge****er down try mixing in a little Crystal Lite.

Diane,I'm going to do a little research and find out about the protein bullets and see if I remember where I read about them.

For the gas...do you think gas-x strips might work? Heard that it's a miracle worker for some people.

Take care of yourself and thanks again for your great post.

Ada
Gabriella21
on 2/9/10 1:11 pm, edited 2/9/10 1:12 pm - Roxboro, Canada
So I thought I was going to bed now...but I decided to try and find some info on the "protein bullets". The forum that I've gotten alot of info from is at the following link. I know that their is alot of info on the "bullet" but my eyes are closing and this is all I've found for now. Within that site a wealth of info.

http://verticalsleevetalk.com/pre-operation-vertical-sleeve- surgery-vsg-questions-answers/3625-what-do-protein-bullets-t aste-like.html

Bye-bye...

(Just noticed that the time on my post says 9:11 but it's actually 12:11...strange)

salem4444
on 2/10/10 10:39 am - Canada
That's what I read about bullets, it's not the better source of proteins, but at first, when we   cannot take a big quantity of liquid, these are good. I don't care if they come from cow hide, many of the things we eat come from strange places... just think of jello!!
But I think proteins are important to get  as soon as  the first week, and that are not so many ways to get them, that's why many surgeons prescribe bullets.

I tried Gas X but they were making me nauseous and didn't work that well for me. Worth a try, but I think all those gases have to pass by themselves...

And they did ...

Cannot wait for you to have your vsg, and to hear your story!

Take care!

((hugs))
Diane

At Goal !!!

Brenda B.
on 2/10/10 6:03 am - Gaspé, Canada
Nice informative post Diane.....my experience was similar and different in some ways but I had RNY.

Ada, these posts are timed in PST rather than EST . That is why the time is never the same for us.  Also I would suggest not to over spend on bullets as you don't know how your taste buds and tummy will be like post op. I still have three cases of 24 of bullets at home sitting on a shelf. I was able to have them preop but I can't stomach them as yet and I am 5mths out.  I thought I would be like Diane and plan ahead only to find that I could tolerate any thing in post op. Sometimes it doesn't pay to be well organized with this surgery.  I also got stuck with two new pair of pants that I just bought a month ago thinking I would fit into them and today tried them on and they are floating on me!  I don't have specialty stores here and I don't fit in the *normal* sizes yet and I desperately needed clothes. So I took a chance and ordered a size 18 and they were tight when I got them. Now for some reason the waist it three inches too big and they no longer fit right. I am soon going to by naked at work :).  I am not complaining but this is not a cost saving journey LOL.

Brenda B, HW 328 PreSW 298 CW 156 Goal 165 
AT GOAL..................NORMAL BMI! DOING THE HAPPY DANCE

salem4444
on 2/10/10 10:51 am - Canada
I agree with you Brenda not to over stock on those bullets or other proteins. I got one case of 24 bullets, but I just took 5 to date. At first, I was able to take only half a day... And after, you can drink and eat more, I kind of feeling tired of the taste. So maybe just buy a few...  If my husband decide to have surgery, I'll have them ready! ( they are good til 2011.)

My taste didn't change at all though, I still like the same things and it tastes the same...( what I can have right now LOL)  I've heard that many people had a change of their taste after surgery...

For your pants, it's money spend but Hey, a great NSV!!!!  Congrats!

((hugs))
Diane
At Goal !!!

Gabriella21
on 2/10/10 12:56 pm - Roxboro, Canada
Thanks for the info Brenda and Diane. BTW where do we buy all these wonderful proteins and bullets and whatever we need post-op? The only place I've heard of is GNC.

Diane---> I have no clue what jello is made of (do I want to know??)

Brenda---> I'm so happy you're not fitting in your new pants...it's a good thing. Pants can always be altered but the amazing feeling you get when you pull on those pants and they're too big is Priceless!!

(((hugs)))
Most Active