Optifast questions

mtl_chick
on 2/15/10 2:42 am - Canada
Hello,  for those who have done the optifast diet. What did you do about work? I know I have to take 4 a day for 4 WEEKS. :(
On top of knowing it will not be easy to do. I'm worried about taking it at work.
Also I usually can't drink anything in the morning until I've eaten or I get very nauseous. I guess I'll have to eat cucumbers first thing in the morning...

I"ve heard it's not bad if you freeze it into popscicles. And you can buy the essences at the regular grocery stores to add flavors. Like essence of Oranges and othrs. The same type of think like vanilla extract. Just different flavors. Anyone tried those?

Thanks
Cindy
Spezza_Fan
on 2/15/10 5:34 am - Gatineau, Canada

Hi Cindy,
I've yet to be on the OptiFast diet but from what I've read the first 4 days are hard and after that it gets much easier. I personally would try to the OptiFast diet only but who knows what I'll feel after a week. I don't think you are supposed to mix the syrups with the OptiFast but maybe someone can clarify that for me.

Good luck!
Derek -xxx-

Brenda B.
on 2/15/10 5:35 am - Gaspé, Canada
Hi and welcome to the board.....I did Optifast for two weeks and worked as well. I brought in a hand mixer and ice water. I never added essence but use a container with a lid as it help with the smell which caused nausea for me. Others will also give you tricks. Good luck and we'll be here to support your effort.
salem4444
on 2/15/10 6:02 am - Canada
I just did the optifast 4 weeks ago, so I remember well... I had 2 weeks. I worked as well, prepared the shake in the morning . The important thing is the ice. For me, I put a LOT of ice and blended it like a slush, so it was more diluted. I had some essences like coconut and pineapple to vanilla, tasted "almost" like a pina colada! What I prefered was almond essence in chocolate. I had also bought some Da Vinci Syrup, That's sugar free syrups that you can use in those shakes, but also in yogourt, etc... after. If you have 4 weeks to do, I STRONGLY suggest that you order some syrup, because we are soooo tired of the same taste day after days...
I ordered them at    thelowcarbgrocery.com, it's in Toronto, so no duties to pay. They are not cheap, but the bottles are big ( like wine bottles) and you can use it on many things. They have many great flavors, like praline, caramel, almond, kaluha...

The first 4 days are the worst, I was hungry ( and angry LOL) and having headaches, and nausea, but after it becomes easier. And it works too to lose weight!   It is not easy but worth it!

Diane
                                              HW 320 SW 299  goal W 150 CW 138 (5' 7 " ) 
At Goal !!!

HabsChick
on 2/15/10 6:35 am - Montreal, Canada
It seems that people do the Optifast diet for different lengths of time before their surgery? When I met with Dr. Atlas, I was pretty sure he told me that I'd be doing it for 4 weeks before surgery.
When the clinic called me today (offering a March 3rd surgery date), I mentioned that I thought I had to do it for 4 weeks, and she said "No, 2 weeks, maybe 2.5".
I'm confused .. I would assume that she would get that info from my file, but maybe not? I'm worried that I'm going to end up getting a call 2 weeks before surgery, and not be on Optifast as long as the doc wants me to be ...

mtl_chick
on 2/15/10 10:15 pm - Canada
Thanks for the tips everyone. I will have to look for the davincy syrop. 
I have heard from people at the nut meeting that it was easier to take it with ice too. Also the nut mentioned that no more than once a day it can be mixed with skim milk. I don't think I would do it every day, but maybe once in a while as treat. Especially if it can taste like a milk shake :)

For the amount of time you have to take it. It goes by your BMI. So they should know before they call you.
Spezza_Fan
on 2/15/10 11:16 pm - Gatineau, Canada
If it can reassure you I don't know anyone who has done it for 4 weeks. Everybody I have talked to have done it for 2 weeks or less. Heck the people who go down for surgery in Mexico don't even go on Optifast so there's no biggie and you don't have to worry. Diane and Kass both lost ~20 pounds in 2 weeks on Optifast so don't worry about it. 2 weeks will be enough and trust me, you won't want to do another 2.

Derek
HabsChick
on 2/15/10 11:46 pm - Montreal, Canada
It does reassure me, thanks! The Da Vinci syrup sounds like something that would definitely help choke the stuff down...

Have a great day all!
kabby
on 2/18/10 7:17 am - Canada
hi!

Don't we just all love the Optifast? lol

I had the VSG in august 2008 and going back march 4th to get the bypasse and revision of my stomach..

I started the optifast today... I had sworn the last time I would never drink this stuff again.. i'm trying to be good about this and disciplined but it should be better in a few days..

I do the optifast with alot of ice and raspeberry cristal light.. changes the taste!
mtl_chick
on 2/18/10 11:15 pm - Canada
Crystal Light Really ??? I would never have thought of that.
Thanks for another great idea.
Most Active