pneumology tests

mtl_chick
on 2/18/10 2:01 am - Canada
I got a call from Martine from Sacre Coeur today. My heart skipped a beat when she told me her name. I thought for sure this is it the call.
But it was not :(  She called to tell me that my file is not complete. I had been tested for sleep apnea in 2007. But they messed up my file. They told me I don't have it but still wanted me to come sleep there. Then it got cancelled, but my file says I might have it and that I never came back.
So now I get to do it again. :(  I have an appointment on Monday (Martine is fantastic and got me fast appointments) to get the machine to sleep with at home. Then on Tuesday I have to go for respiratory tests. Anyone know what that is?? 2 different tests.

Thanks
Cindy
Spezza_Fan
on 2/18/10 2:11 am - Gatineau, Canada

No clue what it is Cindy but I do have a CPAP at home. I didn't have one when I met Dr. Garneau last year. I'm not sure if I should call them to tell them I have one now. Will it slow my process down or will it be faster? I don't want to jeopardize my case. Good luck and let us know what the turnout is.

Derek -xxx-

salem4444
on 2/18/10 2:41 am - Canada
Cindy, The test at home is to see if you need a cpap, or which pressure you need for it. The respiratory tests at the hospital may be some tests for the capacity of the lungs or see if there is asthma. But if they ask you to sleep at the hospital, this is more complete test for sleep apnea.
Hope that helps...

Derek,  I have also a Cpap, and all I had to do is bring a copy of the prescription for it when I saw Martine. They want to know which pressure you need. Maybe a copy of your tests if you have it. Mine were in 2001, so I didn't have them.

HW 320 SW 299  goal W 150 CW 138 (5' 7 " ) 
At Goal !!!

Spezza_Fan
on 2/18/10 3:08 am - Gatineau, Canada
Diane,
Lucky for me I have a progressive CPAP machine. Mine goes from 3 to 18 depending on how much I need it. Do they need it for when they put me under or for when I sleep at the hospital after? 
salem4444
on 2/18/10 3:20 am - Canada
Yes you are lucky, if the machine adjust itself... mine is set at 10 and it's too much now, it pushes air too strong and I feel like a balloon!  Hope I don't have to wait three months for every adjustment... You do need it at the hospital, right after surgery, in the recovery room they put you on it. When I woke up from surgery, I had it, and every time I was sleeping . Because of the pain medication and anesthesia, we can have more apnea.
At Goal !!!

Spezza_Fan
on 2/18/10 3:23 am - Gatineau, Canada
My private nurse... I mean my girlfriend will be there at every second while I'm in post-op so she'll slap it on my face. She does it now when I forget so I'm not worried about it. How old is your machine? My health insurance covers a new one every 5 years. You may want to look into an upgrade machine or is it really worth the money if you're not going to need it in a couple of months because of your weight loss? 
salem4444
on 2/18/10 3:28 am, edited 2/18/10 3:29 am - Canada
My machine is 8 years old, I had it since the beginning of my problem in dec 2001. I just thought about getting a new one, with self adjust. But I don't know, like you said, if I will be needing it for long... But it's worth a try asking the insurance, I think they almost paid it completely the first time...Thanks for the idea!

I didn't think it will be so fast that I will need an adjustment. If I had known I will have looked in buying a self adjust before surgery... Five days after surgery, it was too strong....Did they really just removed my stomach???

At Goal !!!

Spezza_Fan
on 2/18/10 3:33 am - Gatineau, Canada
They paid 80% for mine. I just had to pay 370$ out of my pocket I believe. I may be worth it then you can sell it afterwards for a profit! :D
mtl_chick
on 2/18/10 11:12 pm - Canada
Thanks for the info. If i have to get a machine I'll know who to ask about it. :)
Spezza_Fan
on 2/18/10 11:21 pm - Gatineau, Canada
You know it! On top of that, most people don't know but you don't have to go to the hospital for the test. My doctor told me about a guy here in Gatineau that has the equipment with him and goes to your house and sets you up. It's a smaller machine and you've only got one hook-up instead of 20000 from the hospital and it is very accurate. 2 weeks later he gets the results and he hooks u up with a new C PAP machine. Pretty awesome service and I'm sure it's available in Mtl too.
Most Active