Question

lgm
on 9/12/12 3:46 pm
Hi Barbara,
I am also with Dr. Denis. I hope you don't mind me asking you questions about your surgery.
I will be doing it at Rockland.  Do you think I will be well enough to go home that same day? 
Do you have any tips for me?  Did you get the drain put in?  I hear some people have it and some don't.  I am way nervous and excited at the same time.
 I know I am in amazing hands. 
Barbara_journey
on 9/13/12 1:51 pm - Canada
Hey! 
No worries, it's my PLEASURE to answear any questions! I don't know where I would have been without this formum, so I can only repay the favor! 

I LOVED DR DENIS, however, I never saw him after my surgery ( in the hospital) Only residents..

I'm sure it will be different for you since you will be at Rockland. I also know that at Rockland you have to go to Sacre coeur 24 hours after your surgery, I assume this is for the "LEAK TEST" where they do a scan of your stomach to make sure nothing is leaking.
and then again at 72 hours after surgery, unless something has changed that is what was told to me in May when I was scheduled there.

The first day I was groggy.. and I don't know if I would have been ready to go home right after, to be honest... I suggest bringing a "barf bag" for the car ride JUST IN CASE. (*Please note **KNOCK ON WOOD* I have not thrown up since surgery). I would also recommend setting up a "camp" where you won't have to lay down, like in the living room, near a bathroom (for peepee purposes) I did not have my first sip of water until about 6pm the day after surgery, but I was on IV. I never took any pain meds once released (I did the day of surgery and the next day). I found holding a pillow up against me to change positions helped SO MUCH! 
I had Surgery on the wednesday late morning, was sent to my room the Tuesday afternoon (4ish), had my leak test the next day around 4-5pm ish... and then drank water at 6 pm.. the first few sips were tough.. I thought I would be sick... but I BREATHED thru it. Then I was find. I took MINI sips! Just enough to wet my mouth basically... They said I could leave that night, but I didn't feel ready, so I stayed another night. The next morning I woke up and felt like a different person, left around 11am, went and spent the afternoon on my mom's back deck, had dinner with the family, Friday I spend hanging out with my mom, even went shopping at the mall for back to school stuff (and since I wasn't on pain meds), I tried driving, and I felt fine! I drove on the weekend, no problem. Monday I got my kids ready and took them to daycare, Tuesday I went to work! A lot of ppl thought I had been on vacation and told me how tanned and well rested I was... they were none the wiser, however, since loosing 66 lbs.. they are catching on, and are very curious and supportive.. so I've started to share with people I trust.. and I'm sure they talk so the 30+ employees are probably all "in the loop" now.. LOL
Any other questions, FEEL FREE ;) 

Most Active