DS with BMI under 40

claudiaes
on 7/17/13 1:39 am - ddo, Canada
VSG on 11/18/13

Hi, For all of those that have had the DS done in quebec, were any of you a lightweight?

my BMI is 36.5 but I'm pre diabetic and have high blood pressure.

I have a lap band that I want out and I really want a DS because restriction does not work for me and I do not want a gastric bypass.

thanks for any info you may have

justpete
on 7/17/13 5:41 am
VSG on 04/02/13

have you looked into the VSG?  i think that would be a better fit for your BMI.  Its way better than lapband.  yes there is no maladsorption, but the restriction is always there and you cant sneak around it like with the band

80-85% of your stomach is removed, and with it goes that much of your hunger.

tiny stomach empties into your intestines.  you wont be able to 'eat around it' there is not place for extra food to go for hours ****il you have bowel movement, which are not frequent)

you dont have to worry about fills and all that nonesense.  you eat what you eat.   1 month out maybe you cna eat 50g of meat.  4 months out, maybe 90g (if you dont eat anything else at meal).  that's really not a lot!  i stuggle to even find room in the day to eat vegetables with VSG.  i can eat like 5 baby carrots for a snack.  maybe 6 green beans or 2 asperagus with a small amount of meat at a meal. it's good restriction!

are you leaning towards the DS because you dont think you cna change your diet?  and think you cna eat whatever you want and rely on the maladsorption to lose weight?  i dont think thats how it works.  if you eat bad foods, you wont be able to eat enough good food to keep you healthy and will  become sick.  even with all the extra vitamins you have to take.

as to if it's possible to have the DS at that BMI, probably.  a lot of people who are really obese start with the VSG for a year or 2, then do the DS to make it to goal.  when they do the switch, they are probably under a BMI of 40.

HW: 407   Final Appointment : 376   Pre-op Diet Start: 367   SW: 350 (Apr2/2013) Add me on MFP

claudiaes
on 7/17/13 5:54 am - ddo, Canada
VSG on 11/18/13

Hi Pete, thanks for your answer you are always so knowledgeable. I did look at the vsg it was my first option afterIi take out this stupid band but my concern is if I didn't do well at all with a restrictive wls (lap band) how is it going to be much different with a vsg and what about after, when your stomach gets bigger and you can eat more,   will I gain weight?

I have done the diets and lost 50-60 lbs but always gain them back, my body just gets used to eating 500-600 calories at one point and stops losing.

i eat pretty good right now and always have, I rarely eat junk food and crap but I do have a sweet tooth but i mostly eat good food but a ton of it, also I'm planing on getting my diploma in superior cuisine at the cordon blue next year and even with the vsg i will be able to consume a lot of little bites here and there and gain weight.

justpete
on 7/18/13 10:59 pm
VSG on 04/02/13

ah, ya that's a tough career for a WLS person.  I follow a youtube channel that has a culinary person with lapband.  not sure what his personal channel is, but might be a good person for you to reach out to and talk with if you can.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOr5HkuPCDE&feature=c4-overvi ew&list=UUVSrSueoyrlEGmbvOJI6p4A

He talks about difference between eating and tasting, and has come to terms with losing more slowly in this profession, etc etc.  there is a balance there somewhere for sure!

HW: 407   Final Appointment : 376   Pre-op Diet Start: 367   SW: 350 (Apr2/2013) Add me on MFP

starlightlu
on 7/17/13 7:52 pm - Canada

Hi, I just want to inform you that I did have the DS with Dr. Court at the Royal VIc so my opinion is definitely biased. 

I have ABSOLUTELY NO REGRETS about getting this surgery. If you follow the various forums on this sight you will notice a slew of people *****vise to DS. 

For me, I opted to rely on the malabsorption. At only 10 weeks out I am surprised by the food I can eat (it has steadily increased over the weeks) so the vsg part of the surgery is slowly but surely expanding.

I think we naturally want to gravitate toward a surgery which is least invasive but the truth is that the DS is the best surgery in terms of outcomes but does carry the most risks. I was willing to pay the price.

AT 10 weeks out I am having NO issues at all and I lose about a pound a day with some stalls which I am tyold is normal.

And oh, I also started as a lightweight.

Don't be scared of the DS; it is truly AMAZING!

If you have any questions whatsoever, please PM me.

Good luck!

laughstarlight

SW 260 SW 257 CW 139 GW 130  

starlightlu
on 7/17/13 7:55 pm - Canada

Hi, silly me. I did not notice your message (bad habit of not looking) but I just added you on FB

laughstarlight

SW 260 SW 257 CW 139 GW 130  

Most Active