No Steroids? or No Predisone Confusion

happyhealing
on 11/1/11 12:38 am

I keep getting hives or some kind of skin rash where underneath my eyes swell up like I've been hit with someones fists.  I was told that I cannot have steroids.  Why not and how could they cause an ulcer?  Would an injection of steroid be the same thing as the oral pills?

bubbylucy
on 11/1/11 12:51 am - Raleigh, NC
I have never heard that we can not have steroids. We are not alowed Non-Steroidal anti inflammatories which are things like advil and aleve, not prednisone.
  Good luck
Audra

Bralen
on 11/1/11 1:24 am
You can take steroids but not NSAIDS which are  non steroidal anti inflamitories.
Start weight 263     Surgery weight 247  
Bralen
on 11/1/11 1:25 am
Unless you were told not to take steroids for another reason. I would call the office of the doctor who told you that and ask about it.
Start weight 263     Surgery weight 247  
Pickett6
on 11/1/11 2:23 am
I was told by my surgeon "no prednisone; never again" but... duh... I didn't ask why.  So be sure to check with your surgeon, since there seems to be differing opinions.
poet_kelly
on 11/1/11 3:13 am - OH
Who said you cannot have steroids and why not?

RNY patients are usually advised to avoid non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs (NSAIDS) but steroids are generally considered OK.

When it comes to NSAIDS, though, injections carry as much risk as pills.  NSAIDS cause the lining of the stomach to thin, which can cause ulcers.  They have that effect anytime they get into your bloodstream, whether you take them orally, by injection, by IV, etc.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Price S.
on 11/1/11 3:16 am - Mills River, NC

I've had a cortasone injection in my knee since RNY with no issues.  Never been told not to.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

seattledeb
on 11/1/11 5:09 am
They can increase your risk of ulcer. When I have to take them I add a protective meds like prilosec. Sometimes you have to take steroids. I hate taking them because they make me so hungry and grumpy.
Does benadryl work at all for your hives?
Deb T.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 457 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 354 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 437 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?