Ladies: 3-month pill not stopping monthly period?

cody62809
on 2/29/12 6:35 am - MA
RNY on 01/31/12

Has anyone else had this issue post-surgery?  I am exactly one month out from surgery and have been on my pill all month, but just got my period!  Never in my life have I had two periods in a row that are one month apart.  I usually take my birth control pill for 3 months without the placebo.  I have just been taking my pill whole as it's so small.  Do you think I need to cru****  Or maybe switch birth control?  Or is this common and will go away at some point?

Thanks!!!

Submitted:  11/23/11, Approved:  12/14/11, Surgery Date:  1/31/12; HW:  285, CW:  188  
Mandy R.
on 2/29/12 6:41 am - Callahan, FL
I'm not on the pill, but have an IUD.  I had not had a period since July 2011, had my surgery 11/7/11.  I started my period the day after surgery and had it for 4 weeks !!  I saw my GYN and she said that losing so much wt and the stress from surgery put my cycle off track.  She gave me a prescription for low dose pills to "reset" my period.  I had a normal period and no more since.  Good luck :)
Mandy

HW-298  SW-251 Loss/Month post RNY(1)-23.5,(2)-23.3,(3)-9.9,(4)-10.6,(5)-8.9,(6)-7.7,(7)-4.2,(8)-7.5,(9)-1.7,(10)-10.8*first goal reached*,(11)-6,(12)-1.3,(13)-0.3,(14)+2.9-*changed scales that weigh 2lbs heavier*,(15)-0.3(16)-4.7(17),+5.8(18)-1.5,(19)+4.4,(20)-+4,(21)-1.2,(22)+3.5,(23)

Jenni_9yrspostop
on 2/29/12 6:47 am
I'm sure your doc explained the hormone dumping with the rapid weight loss and the lack of protection birth control pills provide post op? You'll need 2 forms of birth control until you know one is working consistantly. You may have to go on a different pill form, different dosage or something else to make it effective for you. Most women get checked regularly to make sure their pill is actually being absorbed (it may not be) and that it's working depsite the hormone surges we have post op with the most rapid weight loss and getting rid of fat that has previously stored the hormones. check with your doc  or ob/gyn-preferably one that is familiar with our special needs post op and the fact that the pill may not be absorbed by us after surgery. Make sure you have an alternative plan - 2 forms are what most post op women opt for as there are no guarantees we absorb the pill -an IUD or some other form may work better for you now.
Jen 10 yrs post op RNY
cody62809
on 2/29/12 7:32 am - MA
RNY on 01/31/12
Thanks Mandy.  I have an appointment at the end of March and will ask my GYN about something different.

Protection is not an issue here!  I just don't want my period every month!!
Submitted:  11/23/11, Approved:  12/14/11, Surgery Date:  1/31/12; HW:  285, CW:  188  
Mary Ledoux
on 2/29/12 7:40 am - Londonderry, NH
RNY on 01/10/12
I had the Nova Sure done about 5 Years ago, and haven't had a period in about 4 years. Had RNY on 1/10/12 and this month I have bled 2X. Granted both times, it was very light...still

cody62809
on 2/29/12 8:41 am - MA
RNY on 01/31/12
What is Nova Sure?
Bellarella
on 2/29/12 10:48 am
I have PCOS and haven't had a period that wasn't drug-induced for 20 years until after surgery. Now it's happening every two weeks. I figure it will just take time for everything to settle with all the weight loss and hormone changes. I'm glad for this post to see the comments about using multiple methods of birth control. I hadn't thought that through and surgery center never mentioned it either. It's never been an issue for me with infertility but seems like anything can happen now!

exohexoh
on 2/29/12 11:09 am - West Chester, PA
 i had to switch to the nuvaring (which i seem to still be having issues with even though i have pretty much stopped losing a few months ago). it made a big difference for awhile as i was having the same problem and my gyno thought i wasn't absorbing the pill properly. i think my issues now are something else even though she didn't find anything when i went in for it.

<3 jen <3

<3 starting weight: 252 <3 goal weight: 135 <3 current weight: 151 <3

RNY: 9/27/10 <3 Extended Tummy Tuck w/hip & thigh lipo: 6/6/13

rbb825
on 2/29/12 12:28 pm - Suffern, NY
It could be due to a couple of things - post op our hormones go a bit crazy and it could be simple breakthrough bleeding, see if you get it again next month.  If you do, then it is most likely that we need more than one form of birth control post op, I thought it was just for protection from getting pregnant but maybe it is also to stop your periods.  

Another option is the shot Depo - not sure the entire name but is supposed to be fool proof.  When I wanted to stop my periods years ago due to severe iron deficiency, I used the ortho evra patch - it worked great for me but I hear people on here say you have to be under 200 pounds for it to work - that wasn't the case for me, I was way over 200 and it worked.  Maybe you could use the pill and the patch and the 2 would work great.  The patch is great because you dont' have to worry about  malaborbtion - it goes direction into your bloodstream.

thankfully, I am post menopausal, I had my last period the day I woke up from surgery at 46.  I am not glad that I can't have children anymore but in my life, it isnt' going to happen anyway, so I may as well not suffer with my periods anymore.

LouLou4
on 2/29/12 4:22 pm
My Doctor told me that I'd have to stop taking the pill after surgery as it doesn't seem to be as effective any more and quite a few people tend to get pregnant within the first year so i'm switching to the implant next week

I've been taking the pill continuously for the past year and prior to that I had the implant for 3 years and in all that time i've not had my TOM so i'm really dreading surgery knocking that out of whack

Hope you sort something out soon
Most Active
Recent Topics