When did you start eating nuts?

cuddles010982
on 6/19/12 1:49 am - Mt
 My doc told me to try to start getting off the protein drinks and get my protein from regular food. I am 13 weeks post op and was wondering if it is too early to eat Nuts.  Also I am craving fresh vegetables. Do you think I can have fresh carrots or peppers?

~Heidi
The quest for excellence is a life long process
Monica M.
on 6/19/12 1:51 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
you're likely ok. Just make really sure you CHEW really really really well. Only introduce one new food at a time.

did i mention chew really well?

and be careful about the volume of nuts, i had a quasi dumping reaction from my first handful of cashews.

Sandy S.
on 6/19/12 2:01 am - MD
RNY on 05/07/12
It's just my opinion but I'd stay away from carrots this early, for a vegetable they are loaded with sugar. For me I'd be afraid they would trigger my carb addiction. Also, with the small amount of food I can currently eat, I (personally) front load my proteins, by the time I have those, there is just no room left.

poet_kelly
on 6/19/12 1:59 am - OH
Some time after I was on a regular diet.  I don't know, maybe three months out for nuts.

As far as raw veggies, I was told to wait until I was about two months out for those.

what does your doc's plan say?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

cuddles010982
on 6/19/12 2:09 am - Mt
 My docs plan is confusing because he and his nutritionist contradict each other a lot. The NUT says drink protein shakes the doc said drinking your calories will eventually backfire. I think it's because of all my complications I am farther behind than the NUT is used to.

~Heidi
The quest for excellence is a life long process
(deactivated member)
on 6/19/12 2:21 am
RNY on 04/18/12
I'm two months out and can handle a small amount of nuts just fine.
Kenochs84
on 6/19/12 2:33 am - PA
RNY on 01/03/12
I had an okay time eating nuts early out...chew them well and I think you'll be fine. They break up fairly well...which is a good thing! Also with veggies...I find them a lot easier to eat then most items in my diet!

Coach2012
on 6/19/12 2:40 am
 I eat nuts and veggies all the time, and am a little over 3 months out. Started around 2.5 months. I portion out 1/2 cup of a mix of almonds, pistachios, sunflower seeds, and pumpkin seeds and try to eat at least half the container throughout the day, whenever I want something crunchy or salty. Helps to get a few extra grams of protein in and allows for that salty/crunchiness! Raw veggies with Greek yogurt dip is also a great snack that gives you a little extra protein too. I love peppers, carrots, broccoli, cucumbers. Haven't had a problem with any of them. Start of slow and chew well and experiment, but I'm guessing you will tolerate nuts and veggies pretty well since you're pretty far out!

Dagne Tripplehorn
on 6/19/12 2:59 am - OR
RNY on 04/06/12
 At 2 1/2 months I've eaten pistachios and cashews and felt fine. I ate too many, too. I only recently added veggies back into my diet, and so far am fine. The one raw veggie I've had is zucchini slices, which are way better than crackers. I didn't have room for anything but straight protein until last week, when I noticed I was getting the munchies at night. That I'm nipping in the bud!

lanagirl
on 6/19/12 3:26 am
Fats can cause issues when you just had your gall bladder out. It has taken me about 2 months to eat nuts and avocado without getting diarrhea from the fat. I would wait a few weeks if I were you.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 466 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 425 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 441 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views