POSTOPERATIVE NEWBIE Question - When do I start losing?

GSFan
on 7/23/13 1:11 am
I apologize in advance to those that get annoyed by new people that ask the same old questions.

I had surgery one week ago today and everything went unbelievably well. No pain meds required after the second day other than Tylenol.

Getting my water in, still working on getting the protein up. Will see surgeon tomorrow for one week follow up and probably move to soft/puréed stage which should help with that.

I came home from the hospital 10 pounds heavier than day of surgery. This morning I am still six pounds up from surgery day weight. I understand that this will happen, just wondering when the scale will start moving downward. I'm currently eating about 400 calories a day. Do I need to drink more water?

TIA
(deactivated member)
on 7/23/13 1:45 am - CA
RNY on 06/11/13
Everyone's body is different but unless you are on a clear liquid diet I think you should be getting in more protein and calories. Protein shakes help because you get a big boost of protein and more liquids. I would definitely talk to your doctor as every doctor's program and expectations are different. Hang in there, you WILL start to lose more.

And congrats on your surgery!
GSFan
on 7/23/13 1:55 am
Thanks. I've been avoiding the shakes the last few days because they all seem to cause diarrhea. In fact, that's been about my only real problem and I plan to discuss with doctor tomorrow. I am on full liquids now.
ShebasMom
on 7/24/13 5:18 am
Revision on 07/05/16

the lactose in the milk may cause you to have diarrhea. try lactose free milk.

HW322 SW296 GW150 LW196 

RNY 8-29-11

Revision to Distal bypass 7-5-16

SW262 GW165 

John 3:16

Lisa_Douglas
on 7/23/13 1:59 am
RNY on 05/20/13

It took me 7 - 8 days to take off the 10 pounds I gained in the hospital.  I know each of us has this fear of "what if the surgery doesn't work for me?"  Just have faith, stay the course, and follow your dr's guidelines.

Velma44
on 7/23/13 2:23 am

I think it also helps to move a lot to work those extra fluids out if your tissues.

I'm 12 days out and dropping about a lb a day. 

aesposito
on 7/23/13 2:43 am

Don't weigh yourself.  Really.  If someone had told me that the first few weeks, I would have been so much happier.  Follow your surgeon's diet and relax...

Audrey

Highest weight: 340
Surgery weight: 313
Surgery date: 10/24/11
Current weight 170... 170 pounds lost!!!!

I am not a doctor, but I play one at work.

Joyceebaby
on 7/23/13 4:45 am
RNY on 11/29/12

Like everyone else said, this is completely normal.  Your body WILL lose it.   When?  Well, no one can give you an exact date, but I suspect you'll start seeing that fluid retention start to drop pretty soon.  Then there's the dreaded 2-3 week post op stall that lasts a couple of weeks.  Not everyone experiences it, but a good percentage do.  Honestly, the first 6 weeks post op was the hardest to just relax and let the process do its thing.  Hang in there...better days are on the horizon :)

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 468 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 538 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 522 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 156 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 409 views
Recent Topics