Facebook know-it-alls! Yawn

VintageChick
on 7/31/13 11:02 pm

This former co-worker mentioned shes considering gastric bypass. She received one friend support, and she's planning VSG soon.  the rest? A bunch of nay-sayers! A sampling:

I have seen and heard not too good results from those procedures! Need to do a lot of research before you go through with any of those options! I'm doing weigh****chers and have lost over 10 pounds so far! Weigh****chers helps you with portion control! I truly support it!

I think the gastric bypass surgery is a joke...my friend had it done and yeah she lost but she gained it all back and now she can't lose any weight. The best thing for you to do is just what your friend Shawnna said, you have to put forth the effort and not starve yourself b/c you'll hit a plateau and you'll just be stuck. You have to do cardio and strength training in order to see any results. And you have to remember that it took a while to pack it on and it will take a while to lose it. Don't take the easy way out. Here's whats gonna happen with the surgery...your gonna lose rapid amounts of weight too fast and your gonna be left with saggy skin...then what? Are you gonna have surgery to remove the extra skin? Are you even thinking about that??

awdoinger
on 7/31/13 11:05 pm - TN
This would be one of several reasons I never talked about my surgery on Facebook! And I normally share a lot :/
VintageChick
on 7/31/13 11:17 pm

Same here. I didn't keep surgery a secret, but if they're going to nay-say to me, it's going to be in person. I'm not up for a word war on Facebook, but I'll sure go to bat for my decision in person. :)

lap RNY 5-15-13

awdoinger
on 7/31/13 11:37 pm - TN
Definitely! Everybody who knows me in person knows I had the surgery and I've been really fortunate that everyone has been really cool about it. My mother-in-law did suggest WW but she meant well and she got over it quickly. One of the other reasons I don't talk about it in FB is that I have a lot of friends who are heavy who are very threatened by the idea of surgery and I don't want to preach. I will post pics of myself on vacations and stuff and if anybody asks, I'll be honest.
Dee.spunk
on 7/31/13 11:34 pm - Sacramento, CA
The best way to prove them wrong is to be a success. That's all you can really do. You do have to do a lot of research and yes, you may end up with saggy skin, but if its gonna happen, it'll happen wether you lose the weight with weigh****chers or RNY.

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

PetHairMagnet
on 8/1/13 12:17 am
RNY on 05/13/13
This is one reason I did not share with almost anyone!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

lilisasmith3
on 8/1/13 12:49 am
RNY on 01/31/13
I had only 1 friend (that is extreamly overweight and I believe, jealous that I had RNY) say anything negative to me at all. everyone has been super supportive the last 6 months but I don't announce it either but if people ask I will tell them.
The Salty Hag
on 8/1/13 1:13 am
RNY on 05/20/13
I hope you can counteract some of that negativity and let your former co-worker know that the positive far outweighs the negative when it comes to WLS.

chulbert
on 8/1/13 1:21 am - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

Misinformed people say stupid things all the time on just about any subject.  This is no different.  I had some people show concern based on bad information so I just corrected them and thanked them for their concern.

saterry
on 8/1/13 2:16 am - IN
Revision on 10/03/13

If we had a tumor that would eventually kill us, no one would say a thing about us having surgery to remove it.

We have a slow (sometimes not so slow) fat tumor that can and will kill us.

WLS is about getting healthy and taking control of our future using the tools we have. WLS is ONE of the tools.

If negative people are going to affect your outcome they are NOT the tool for success.

SRVG 1997 SW 301   Revision to RNY 10/3/13 SW 247 GW 130  Ht 5'8