Foamies... Seriously, that's too tame a word for it! Gross stuff!!!

VintageChick
on 8/28/13 1:34 pm

Oh. My. Gosh. I just spent the last hour and a half of my life wishing for death and cursing my surgeon!  Now that I'm over my little painful foamie 'never eating steak again' lesson I'm glad God didn't strike me down despite my begging, and I once again love my surgeon.

I had 5 small bites of steak, and that was 2 bites too many. The pain was unbelievable, and the foamies are something I couldn't really even imagine until it happened to me. I'm pretty sure I'm going back on liquids. For a day or two. Finally helped to poke a finger down my throat and just get everything up.  My poor little pouch!!! It showed me who's boss!

Eighty pounds down and a painful lesson. I'm so happy I have this tool. :)

lap RNY 5-15-13

Dee.spunk
on 8/28/13 2:41 pm - Sacramento, CA
Ah... The foamies. I remember the first time I got those. I was out eating with my family. It was not fun! I spent the next two hours in agony trying to throw up or walk it off or something. It was horrible!

I'm glad you lived through yours! Remember to always chew, chew, chew! And when you feel that that last bite will be to much, don't swallow it!

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

Maggie May
on 8/29/13 2:00 am
RNY on 08/21/13

What is a foamie? Yikes that sounds bad. :( I'm sorry.

Maggie May 

catteacher
on 8/29/13 3:00 am
Foamie?? Is that the same thing as dumping syndrome??

Cathy

VintageChick
on 8/29/13 4:51 am

I haven't experienced dumping, but this isn't the same. Foamies happen when you get food stuck in your pouch and saliva and mucous has nowhere to go but come back up. For me it was like a bubbly slime. I finally managed to get the stuck food up and feel better, however I'm nauseous now when I eat or drink. Hope tomorrow will be better. I didn't overeat, and I thought I chewed well. Apparently not well enough. The pain was the worst part of it all. Walking, sitting, lying down... none gave relief from the pain. 

lap RNY 5-15-13

thynnlynn
on 8/29/13 8:14 am - MI

Been there - done that.  Yuck!  More than once, that last bite has gone in a napkin, especially at a restaurant.  This happened to me not all that long ago at a restaurant with only cloth napkins and it was a run to the restroom.

Blessings,   Lynn    

Band to RnY - 3/13/13

undertall
on 10/2/13 8:59 am - Stratford, ON, Canada
RNY on 08/22/13

thanks for posting - I thought I was dying!  However, now that the episode has passed (and I think I might live) I'm soooo glad I'm not the only one who experienced this. I think I ate tooooo fast. Didn't chew enough. Both? Must be more mindful of what I'm doing!!

I'm not overweight, I'm "UnderTall"

VintageChick
on 10/2/13 9:49 am
Could be both. Either way, it's a hard way to learn a lesson!!! And I'm so sorry you had to experience it. I sure haven't done it again.

lap RNY 5-15-13