6 months out and continuous low blood sugar

pnut8377
on 4/14/14 3:40 am

Hey everyone. I'm hoping I can find someone with the same issues as me.  I'm six months out, down 90lbs and feel great for the most part.  I have issue that I HAVE to eat every 1-2 hours.  Everything I eat goes right through and does not last very long.  I can eat about a 1/2 cup to a cup of food but it doesn't matter what it is within and hour I feel empty and then I feel like my blood sugar starts to drop.  I just had my 6 month post op with a physician assistant in my surgeon office and he was no help.  He told me to increase my protein and that there are people who do have this problem but doesn't happen often.  I can eat just protein allll day long with the only carbs being from maybe a glass of milk and still it happens.  I can't drink all my fluids because drinking makes it worse.  It washes the food away quicker.  Anyone else have this problem.  This didn't start till about a month ago before that I had no issues.  

Colleen O.
on 4/14/14 5:06 am
VSG on 04/09/14

You feel like your blood sugar is low? Is it for sure, as in you check it with a glucose monitor? If not, you need to get a meter and check, because it could be other things.

You could have reactive hypoglycemia, but that would be from eating too many carbs and not enough protein.

I think we need a little more information in order to really help.

HW: 387 (12/13)  ConsultW: 383 (12/13)  SW: 321 (4/9/14)  CW: 234.6 (10/19/14)

Louise1974
on 4/14/14 10:25 am

I second the idea that you should get a monitor and check, if you aren't already.  I am 18 months out and because of an unrelated problem went on a very high protein diet, almost no carbs, and I was a MESS.  So dizzy all the time, had to eat constantly.  I couldn't figure out what the problem was but it looks like my blood sugar was just bottoming out.  I experimented with a bunch of things and ended up adding some carbs (sweet potato, rutabaga, or fruit) with every meal.  Not a ton, just a few bites.  I am way better now.  I would find another opinion, if you are upping your protein and still having the problem then you need to try something else. 

specklepark
on 4/14/14 1:10 pm - Minburn, Canada
RNY on 01/29/14

You definately need to check your actual blood sugars to see if they are low.  I had RNY GB for diabetes treatment only in January and have since had similar symptoms from what you describe, but I am NOT low- my blood sugars are slightly elevated or within normal 90% of the time.  I get like a cross between a hypo and dumping, which the docs don't know why its happening either and tell me it should improve with time, that others get it too.  You are the fist person I have found that says they get these symptoms.  I too have to eat every 1-2 hrs for sure.  I am also having great difficulty moving from pureed foods to solids and getting enough fluids in.  I eat mostly proteins and have tried upping my carbs to help with the symptoms.  If it works I will post on here, maybe ask your doc if you should add carbs too.  Best of luck, I hope you feel better soon!

pnut8377
on 4/15/14 1:18 am

What you describe is exactly what happens to me!! I am a MESS!

MyLady Heidi
on 4/14/14 3:28 pm

What are you considering low blood sugars?  Personally I wake up with 80's and never eat until dinner and get no drop during the eight hours I am at work.  If I eat, then I have to keep eating all day as my bloodsugar goes up and down.  If you are truly crashing that frequently and have to eat that is pretty severe RH and something to be concerned about.  At nine years out I eat 1000 calories 5 days a week and more on weekends to maintain.  I can only eat a cup of solid protein at a sitting, it seems like you woud be taking in quite a few calories eating as often as you do.  You need to see your doctor and get a meter to check your blood sugar.

pnut8377
on 4/15/14 1:18 am

Thank you everyone.  No I haven't checked with a meter but when I saw my family doctor last month 2 hours after I ate a high protein meal with a little bit of fruit when he did my blood work my BS was 63.  I've always been hypoglycemic but that seemed to stop with the surgery.  At first I thought maybe I was mistaking it for dumping but it doesn't seem to matter what I eat.  I start getting the shakes and very dizzy and light headed and feel like I'm going to pass out.  Once I eat something within 10 mins I'm feeling better.  Then 2 hours later it starts all over again.  And if I'm being active its worse and happens much quicker.  But I am going to start monitoring it with a meter.  

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 458 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 415 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 354 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 437 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 354 views