Pill stuck in my throat

jmhuston
on 4/14/14 1:05 pm - TX

I took my vitamins as usual tonight and I laid down as I had a bad headache. I woke up to what seemed like they we're desolving in my throat. It was burning and I was coughing and it hurts like crazy. I can't stop coughing. Drinking water but my throat is feeling raw and irritated. I had my surgery in July and I am down 100 lbs. this has never  happened before and it is concerning me that it is acid reflux again.  Been free of that pain since surgery. Any ideas on what caused this. It hurts to swallow and I am concerned. Any advice would be appreciated

christinamudd
on 4/14/14 3:36 pm

Sounds like it...thats what mine feels like ;( I take prilosec OTC everyday - works like a charm.   What kinds of food did you eat?  Some of my foods that flare up my reflux:

chocolate

alcohol

Sometimes it just happens for me :( 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/14/14 4:12 pm - OH

My surgeon emphasized taking pills with plenty of water to wash the pills out of the pouch and into the intestine in order to limit the chances of a dissolving pill irritating the pouch.  

She also told us never to lie down right after taking pills or eating, and especially not to lie on your left side, because it can prevent the pills/food from exiting the pouch (gravity will hold it there).

I would think you would a be noticed a pill actually stuck in your throat right after you took it.  If it was still in the pouch, though, when you were reclined, if the pills dissolved in your actual pouch, it could have irritated the lower part of the esophagus, I suppose.

i would be sure that the next time you take vitamins that you drink it with plenty of water and remain upright for 15 minutes afterwards. That would probably help you determine whether the problem is reflux or just the vitamins dissolving where they aren't supposed to dissolve.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 468 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 427 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 441 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views