Pre-Op Failure?

RRach
on 4/15/14 12:40 am

I am feeling like a pre-op failure. Last week, I did my liver shrinking diet with no problem. I went to the gym every day. Then Sunday to today it has been downhill. Like for instance yesterday... I ate 2 cans of vienna sausages, chips/dip, slice of pizza, and a sandwich... this was on top of already having 2 protein shakes and a greek yogurt. 

I am admitting my failure now because I don't want to fail post-op. What are your healthy suggestions to feel full? I don't mean stuffed. 

Today is a new day and I am not going to allow myself to feel bad but what I will allow myself to pick up and do better. 

Feeling a little more hopeful after typing this post!

"Never Give Up: There is no such thing as an ending. Just a new beginning.

Shirleyann_43
on 4/15/14 12:43 am

You are not a failure by all means. Just make things right today like you stated and move forward. Yesterday is the past

jefferytmc
on 4/15/14 1:10 am

The days leading up to surgery can be a total mind game.  I mean, you start thinking about how you will "never" get to have somethings again and so your mind tries to justify it.

My wife was 3  months post op when I was going through my pre-op phase, and even knowing what she could have, it still was difficult.

But you know what you did and you want to move on.

I am now 2 months post op, and life is good.

I do not always make the best choices, but I eat way less and much better food than before.

It is hard to say what works because everyone is different.  And you will have no idea what works or bothers you until after surgery.

For me, bananas go down very easy.  They do not necessarily keep me full for a long time, but I do not really get hungry still.  But they have been a good choice for me post surgery once I got to the soft food stage.

And drink lots of water.

And don't beat yourself up over a mistake.  You are transitioning so just keep working on making better choices.

Best of luck to you.

HW: 440.5  RNY 2/18 (Feb - 27, Mar -21, Apr -11, May -15.5, Jun - 12, Jul -14.5, Aug -9, Sept -11, Oct 6.2)

Cunning_Pam
on 4/15/14 1:11 am, edited 4/15/14 1:12 am
RNY on 12/18/13

RRach, I'm not going to yell at you, but you need to really, really think about what you're doing. Last week it was the guacamole, and now Vienna sausages, chips, pizza, sandwiches...you know these aren't on your surgeon's plan for you, but you ate them. You're not a "failure", but it does seem that you need some help to accomplish your immediate goal of keeping to your pre-op diet. It's not easy, not at all. But keep your eye on the prize, woman! The surgery will help you make better choices, but it's not magic.

Have you considered working with a therapist? There may be all kinds of reasons you're not eating according to your doctor's plan. Perhaps you're a food addict. Maybe you're self-sabotaging for whatever reason. A therapist could be invaluable both before and after surgery, helping you with the hardest part of making this huge lifestyle change: the mental stuff!

By all means, pick yourself up and dust yourself off and resolve to do better. But if you honestly feel that you can't stick to your pre-op food plan, then talk to your surgeon and get some help. Surgery can help change your life, but you have to change your head, too.

Good luck, hon!

Edited to add: The carbs. Avoid the carbs! After a few days without carbs, you will "detox" (I hate that term, but it's appropriate) and you won't crave them so much and be so tempted to go off plan.

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

RRach
on 4/15/14 2:27 am

In my small defense, when I ate the guacamole I truly thought I was making a good choice. It was not until after I entered it into my food journal that I realized it was bad. What I did yesterday, I know was bad and that was wrong but the guac was just truly a rookie's mistake. :(

"Never Give Up: There is no such thing as an ending. Just a new beginning.

Cunning_Pam
on 4/15/14 6:57 am
RNY on 12/18/13

Sure. You didn't know avocados were that dense calorically, I get it. We all have to learn this stuff.

Like I said, not yelling at you, hon. It's a process, and you're learning, and you're reaching out. That's all good stuff.

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

poet_kelly
on 4/15/14 1:20 am - OH

You're probably not going to feel full on a liquid pre op diet.  That's part of what makes the pre op diet so hard.  Post op, you will have a very small pouch, about the size of an egg.  You'll get full on small amounts of food.  Right now, your stomach is about the size of a football.  It's not going to get full from a protein shake or a cup of yogurt.

Drinking a LOT of liquid will help, but you're probably still going to feel hungry.  If you just recognize that, acknowledge that it's uncomfortable and it sucks, but remember it's only temporary, it might be easier to get through it.

Focus on your end goal.  It's worth some effort and some discomfort to get there.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/15/14 1:30 am

veggies. pickles..and lot of tea..

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Ready4Life14
on 4/15/14 1:35 am

I don't really have any suggestions. .. just a little support.  I haven't been approved YET for my surgery. . .but I'm praying to get to where you are.  My Pastor always tells us. . .if you fall. . .don't wallow in it. . Get up!.  That's the best support I can offer.  You know what you've set out to do.  You've made a decision to make this life altering change and you have to be committed to it.  This is what you want to better your life.  Keep that in mind.  What did I come all this way for?  What am I doing here?  I have made a plan and I want to commit to reaching my goal.

Each time I post a comment to someone's blog, I always close with. . . keep all this in mind and remember to offer this to me when I'm sure to go through the same thing.  It's a process. . .nobody said it would be easy.  But it is a choice we make.

Hang tough!

southernpeachnc
on 4/15/14 1:49 am

Shouda, wouda, couda!  As you've said you slipped up but at least you've not bought into that "well I blew it now I'm gonna just binge" thinking.  I'm struggling and I'm post op with the mind games.  You've acknowledged it but you are not defined by it.  Yes it would help to talk to a therapist that deals with eating disorders if you can but if not you can move forward and get past this.  Remember you wont have much longer of this and for me the pre-op was the hardest part.  When I wood falter and want to eat I'd think of a project arround the house and get up and just go do it.  Sounds nuts but it got me to pass that bad time till I could have a shake. Hang in there Honey!  

Can't Never Did Nothin !!  

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 452 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 409 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 348 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 436 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?