5 months out and I have some "Questions" please answer.

onebigcelt
on 4/15/14 4:26 am - midlothian, VA
RNY on 11/22/13

Hey folks I am 5 months out and since I had my surgery. I lost 70 before and 100 since I had my surgery I was 465lbs at my start and I am now 295lbs.

I have had a really good experience since surgery and other than a few minor "getting use to" things I am have done great. I could barley walk up up hill two blocks for lunch before now I am taking 6.5k walks. I need to do more exercise but I am getting it in when I can.

So here are my questions I know every one is different but give it your best guess.

1) How long should I expect to loose weight. When is "Prime Time" when I get the best results 6 months 12 months 1.5 years. I am loosing about 15lbs a month right now.

2) How can I calculate my goal weight.

3) How long does it take your body to fully recover and adapt after your weight loss.(Not surgery) Still having joint issues and muscle pain. Guessing that even thought I am 170lbs less that it may take my body a year or so to see the total benefits after building up with exercise etc.

4) Anyone experience strange sharp pain in different places around your body that only hurts when you twist. Its like your skins is not use to being where it is now and tears or rips the pain starts in a spot gets worse and worse for about 2 weeks then it starts to get better then moves onto another area at another time, never returns to the same spot. I use to think it was a needle like pain like a nerve  and was very worried about it but now  i see it has a rip or a tear and my body adjusting. I would just like to find someone else that has heard about this.

5) I went to a party this weekend and it was my first time trying alcohol. I did a diet coke with Jim beam, a shot of tequila, and a double martini. I feel no affects of alcohol at all. I was expecting to get loopy on my first drink. Now before anyone gets on my case for drink I rarely drink and I had a DD. I was just surprised.

6) There is one thing that you can get on my case about and that is CHips... I get a craving for crunchy salty things. I never really ate chips before but now its like something I crave and I don't like it. What works for you. What is a good crunch  to replace that need.

I am still on track but I have some days like when I in deep thought or frusted at work that I get the crunkies.

thats about it for now thanks in advance

Patm
on 4/15/14 4:40 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

1. You can continue to lose weight for 12-18 mths. It will depend on your body and how well you stay on plan

2. Goal weight is personal to you. although you can discuss this with your doctor

3. You may have permanent joint issues. When you were over weight you probably did damage to them. The pain should ease as your muscles start to support them better but there is no guarantee the pain will go away completely.

4. You are also walking and sitting differently. I found it too****il about 18mths for me to get use to my new body. MNake sure you are wearing good shoes that give you support.

5 alcohol. I guess it effects everyone differently. The pop would of done me in but I have issues with carbonation

6. Got nothing for you. I find staying away from my triggers works best. Once I eat one I want the whole bag

You have done amazing so far. I wish you well in your continued journey

onebigcelt
on 4/15/14 5:02 am - midlothian, VA
RNY on 11/22/13

Thanks!

jazzycatz
on 4/15/14 5:18 am - Joppa, MD

Hmm...well #4 could be caused by losing visceral fat. Your organs have been snuggled in that fat and now it's all going away. They seem to resposition themselves. I had days the first year where I would feel like I had been in an accident. Like deep bruising, you know? Or it could be adhesions. Scar tissue developed after your surgery.

And #6...I make pepperoni chips (Just put pepperoni on a paper towel and microwave until crisp) and they are crispy and salty. I do cheese chips. Put small mounds of cheddar (or whatever) on parchment paper. By small I mean like a teaspoon. Put that on a baking sheet. Bake at 350 for about 7 minutes. I like mine very crispy so that might be a bit long on the time. You can mix in seasonings before you bake. You can also buy the cheese chips.

JLS_NJ
on 4/15/14 5:21 am
RNY on 10/15/13

crunch -  I eat 8 wheat thins with a wedge of laughing cow cheese.  Only if I have the carb grams Left.   My husband once got me pop chips, they work but I won't bring them in the house again it was a big temptation knowing they were there.  

I'm dropping about 10lbs a month.  

JLS in Central Jersey

Empty Nester - working toward a healthier ME!

tdbull
on 4/15/14 6:45 am - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
I air pop popcorn or eat 2 cups of Skinny Pop at 39 cal per cup. Otherwise, I stay completely away from white carbs and all sweets.

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

Dee.spunk
on 4/15/14 6:59 am - Sacramento, CA
1- most lose up until 12-18 months.
2-some use the bmi chart, others decide for themselves what weight they'd be comfortable at and there's those who let their doc choose.
3-it may never recover, or at least it didn't for me. My knees still hurt.
4-it may just be your body relearning how to sit. Maybe do core exercise. My doc recommended sitting on a yoga ball.
5- I guess we all react differently to alcohol. One glass of wine for me and I'm gone
6-I do what the previous poster said. I made cheese chips or pepperoni chips. I occasionally have popcorn, but that usually makes my sugars drop.

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

karin602
on 4/15/14 7:07 am - MD
RNY on 07/30/13

Congrats on your weight loss so far. My go to salty fix are the special k cracker chips. I count them out carefully. A serving is 27 chips for 110 calories. I mostly have 10 chips as long as I have carb room. Several flavors as well. Makes a good occasional giving into craving to. 

Karin

(deactivated member)
on 4/15/14 9:30 am

You could google bariatric food suppilments and you will find an assortment of web sights that sell food and shakes, vitamins designed to work with our surgeries. I had salty munchies cravings before surgery and surI still will so I went to this web sight www.nashuanutrition.com and foun me some salty and sweet munchies that are good for me because it's low in carbs and sugars and high in protein. I also got some soups and vitamins. Check it out.

I hear most everyone say they lose the most weight the 1st year after surgery then it's harder to come off but easy to gain. 

Sounds like you are doing great on you weight loss journey, keep it up. Alcohol is fatning and makes it harder to lose weight. Wish you well

CPA_Loser
on 4/15/14 11:23 am - WA

Congrats on your success so far! You have done really great and it sounds like you are working to make lasting changes.

I'm no expert so I'm only gonna be able to help you with the chips/crunch question. I have tried the Bariwise protein chips from BariatricChoice.com and they are really great! They have 10 grams of protein per serving and 130 calories (9 net carbs). They have several flavors and they really are tasty. Since they have the protein and the carbs aren't too high, I don't feel bad having them a few times a week - usually with some hummus! 

That at website has lots of good things - check it out and you can even use the following referral link to save $20 off $75 (https://www.bariatricchoice.com/rewardsref/index/refer/id/124205/).You can combine this with the new customer code to save an additional $10 (ACBD82T63). So that's $30 off $75 with free shipping!!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 451 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 408 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 39 replies · 347 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 436 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 39 replies · 347 views