Liquid Diet & Lady issues...BEWARE!

Ready4Change1219
on 4/29/14 12:24 am

Ok, so I am currently on my second week of pre op liquid diet, I know that after surgery it is common for women to get their menstrual cycle even if it isn't time yet....but did anyone get it during the pre op stage??? I have not had one for MONTHS (irregular just due to weight, stress, and birth control implant) then of course I start the liquid pre op diet and get it!!! Ahhh. so anyway, last week I was craving foods like crazy (got over that, cheated once this past sat wasn't good...blah), but now I am overly tired, hurting both from period and body wanting to eat and gag every time I try drinking more broth, and I am freaking out because I did really well last week lost 11lbs, and now im "stuck" going back and forth a few pounds (Assuming it is because water retention, and all the "yucky") .....it just kinda "sucks" I really wanted to go in for surgery next Monday and had lost another 10 or 11 and with the way things are happening it dosnt seem like its going to happen, so it will look like I lost 10ish lbs and basically "failed" at a pre op diet by cheating everyday when in reality I only cheated once, of course people always think the worse so I don't want my Dr to look at me and be like: "Really, 10 lbs?? Not good, hope we can do the surgery around your fat liver, & hope you can be successful after surgery." This really blows...someone help :( lol thanks for reading my pms rant

AnnyBananny
on 4/29/14 12:58 am - PA
RNY on 03/18/14

Ugh, I'm sure you're feeling super stressed right now. Shark week fell during my pre-op liquid diet as well and it definitely made things more hell-a-cious and my loss wasn't as great for sure, but...I don't know about every surgeon, but no one had me step on a scale the morning of my surgery - no one seemed to care. 

YOU know you're following the plan and therefore your liver (most likely) is shrinking, so try not to stress and just stick with the plan. Try to move as much as you can, it will help with the pain and keep your mind occupied.

Good luck!

RNY @ Temple University Hospital, Philadelphia with Dr. Tatyan Clark 3/18/2014

Patm
on 4/29/14 1:02 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

We store hormones in our fat. As you lose they are released. Could be why the period now. Try to relax. I am sure it is water retention that will be gone soon. Remember also you may actually come out of surgery with a gain. Depending on the amount of fluids they pump into you. You will lose this quickly

Ready4Change1219
on 4/29/14 1:41 am

thanks ladies you responses have helped me feel better, and not so stressed. im glad im not the only one that this has happened too, makes me feel a little more normal. i thought they would weigh a patient before going into surgery to see if we where sucessful at losing weight?? anyways thanks again!

ecm1109
on 4/29/14 1:57 am

Agree, no one weighed me on my surgery day, and I was on my heaviest day of my period the day of surgery!!  It was horrifying for me, but no one else. You can do this, just keep looking forward!

dragonlove
on 4/29/14 3:02 am
RNY on 11/20/13

Yeah, me too!  Mine started the day before and it was totally frustrating!

Pam (RNY: 11/20/2013)

Caroline K.
on 4/29/14 2:31 am

I was weighed again before surgery at Guelph; but, I suspect it has more to do with making sure they have a correct weight for the anesthetist. After all, the purpose of the OptiFast is to shrink you liver. Weight loss is nice, but secondary. I suppose there might be an issue if you went up more than bit...

Referred to Guelph, Dec. 3/12. Orientation: Mar 7/13. NUT/SW/RN Jun 18/13. Nutrition Class Jul 3/13. NUT/SW/RN Aug 19/13. Post-op Nutrition Class Dec 30/13. Approval for surgery from Dr. Jules Foute Nelong Feb 10/14. Surgery Apr 23/14.

Bsheldon
on 4/29/14 9:18 am

Aunt Flow no longer visits my house (hysterectomy in 2000), but I only lost 9 pounds on my pre-op diet and the Dr. said it was smooth sailing in there. So, I wouldn't sweat it. No one will call you a failure… but we might call you a LOSER! :) I just love saying that… I AM A LOSER! Good luck on your surgery and don't sweat the small stuff! :)

Surgery Date: 4/10/14 HW-279 SW-270 CW-144 GW-140

Ready4Change1219
on 4/29/14 9:37 am

THANKS EVERYONE!! It has been utterly annoying but now that its the end of the day and ive had such awesome support thru everyones responses im feeling much more "tame" lol i guess when you havent had one in forever, then get it...well as im sure you can imagine has been a painful, emotional nightmare! 

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 454 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 412 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 353 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 436 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 353 views