Medicare Vitamins Question

Another Fatone
on 5/15/14 12:55 am - inglis, FL
RNY on 08/28/13

I have a letter of medical necessity stating I need vitamins calcium citrate, multi vitamin, Iron and B-12 shots for life.

Anyone know how to get them thru Medicare?

I am 69 years old. Too old to work and too young to die..... 

5' 11" 73 year old Male

Started 314 Now 200

Beware the Statistics Quoters

poet_kelly
on 5/15/14 2:32 am - OH

It would depend on your Medicare Part D plan, I guess, but as far as I know, Medicare won't cover over the counter vitamins.  My Part D plan won't cover the B 12 shots, either, but I don't mind because they are not expensive.  I pay $8.08 for two doses of B12 and about 25 cents each for syringes.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Another Fatone
on 5/15/14 6:25 am - inglis, FL
RNY on 08/28/13

Hi kelly

Just got back from my appointment with the veterans admin PCP. They are going to provide both drugs and vitamins free. I am 100% disabled service connected. I want to thank all the tax payers out there.

PS: in this area there is a shortage of B-12 shots but I was able to round up 4 doses recently.

5' 11" 73 year old Male

Started 314 Now 200

poet_kelly
on 5/15/14 6:31 am - OH

Who is providing them, the VA?  That's great.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Another Fatone
on 5/15/14 6:39 am - inglis, FL
RNY on 08/28/13

Yes the VA. Same system as the pharmacy drugs. I need to see the VA PCP once a year. They do a 90 day supply with 3 refills. The refills can be ordered by phone or online.

5' 11" 73 year old Male

Started 314 Now 200

poet_kelly
on 5/15/14 6:41 am - OH

Will the pharmacy have the right vitamins?  Like calcium citrate, not carbonate?  Some hospital pharmacies don't.  I was in the hospital a couple years ago for something not WLS-related and I had to bring all my vitamins from home because they only had calcium carbonate, D2, ferrous sulfate, etc.  None of the right stuff for RNY folks.

Another Fatone
on 5/15/14 6:48 am - inglis, FL
RNY on 08/28/13

Good point. I'll be on the lookout. I expect something will go wrong. The PCP I saw today did not seem to know much about RNY....at all. The VA pharmacy folks probably don't either.

5' 11" 73 year old Male

Started 314 Now 200

poet_kelly
on 5/15/14 6:49 am - OH

I was surprised they didn't have any of that at the hospital where I was.

Professor Sonja!!!!
on 5/17/14 12:54 pm - Miami, FL
RNY on 08/15/12

I live in Florida too and I have to order my B12 online from Walgreens so it comes from the warehouse because none of the local Walgreens or CVS have had any for about a year.  

Come keep it real in R&R 3.0 Want an invite? PM me here.

Bibo
on 5/15/14 11:40 am

The vitamins that medicare pays for are usually oil based and not the right kind....appeal appeal appeal....might prevail in the end, but it will take a while. Good luck.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 452 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 409 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 348 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 436 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 348 views