Why you chose RNY over VSG

brians34
on 6/13/14 7:23 am - Robinson, TX

My doctor just sent in a referral for me to speak with a bariatric surgeon.  I have been reading ever since talking with my doctor  trying to figure which procedure I would prefer.  Each has its pluses and minuses.

What helped you in making the decision to go with the RNY over VSG?

Are there any "if I only knew then what I know now" moments?

MichellesJourney
on 6/14/14 2:47 am
RNY on 04/09/14

I choose RNY because I had Type 2 diabetes.  I am only 2 months out and I do not take any medications anymore.  I am in remission.

tpasun
on 6/14/14 3:15 am

Initially, I wanted the sleeve becuase the change in anatomy with the RNY just seemed so drastic to me.  I found a surgeon, and he's fantastic.  He explained that at my BMI (50-51ish) it would probably be most beneficial for me to have the RNY, as research shows that on the average people lose more and keep off more with the RNY than the sleeve.  Often times, people at a higher BMI start with the sleeve, then dont see the results they want and revise to RNY.  So I figured... just go straight for the RNY.  Recovery, and life afterwards is nearly identical, I may just have to take more vitamins, which Im ok with.  Mine will be in about 6 weeks, so I'll be back with more updates!

Cunning_Pam
on 6/14/14 6:13 am
RNY on 12/18/13

I wanted the initial "jump start" of malabsorbtion for a limited amount of time. The metabolic changes of the RNY beat the pure restriction of the sleeve, for me. In addition, I had Type 2 diabetes (in remission since my surgery) and I'd read a lot about how the RNY helps with diabetes. Also, the RNY is technically reversible, while the VSG is not. 

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

jackietex
on 6/14/14 10:38 am
I chose RNY because I had a better chance of permanent remission of my diabetes and perhaps greater weight loss. I'm almost two and a half years out from surgery and my diabetes "returned" last summer, but as if a reset button was pushed so my numbers are excellent. Even so, I have no regrets.

Lap RNY February 15, 2012
Starting weight 195 (ht. 4'10)
Surgery weight 178.5
Current weight 113

ShebasMom
on 6/14/14 10:48 am
Revision on 07/05/16

I originally wanted the sleeve, but my insurance didn't cover it. My surgeon told me with my severe GERD, the sleeve would worsen it. The RNY did not cure my GERD, but it did improve it.  I miss my NSAIDS. I don't believe my weight loss would have been as much with the sleeve. The malabsorption helped me to lose 70% of my excess weight.

HW322 SW296 GW150 LW196 

RNY 8-29-11

Revision to Distal bypass 7-5-16

SW262 GW165 

John 3:16

brians34
on 6/14/14 2:17 pm - Robinson, TX

Thanks for the replies.  Very helpful.

bbearsmama
on 6/15/14 7:05 am, edited 6/15/14 7:06 am
RNY on 02/28/13

My surgeon recommended RNY over VSG for me because of my reflux.  I was also hoping that I would "dump" to deter me from sugar.   I don't dump, though. Some things make me feel kind of jittery, hot and sweaty-milk and any drink that is sugary.  I took a sip of my husband's oj once and I felt miserable.  So I totally stay away from sugary drinks.  I have been happy with my RNY so far!

Pam

"B" bears' mama from Texas
Follow my journey on youtube: "bbearsmama" 

SW: 210 CW: 123.6

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 454 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 412 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 353 views
What's on your Monday Menu?