Introduction, revision from sleeve to bypass

amanda D.
on 6/17/14 8:21 am - Stayton, OR

Hey y'all! My name is Amanda o/

I had gastric sleeve done in 2011, I'm not quite 3 years out. Last year I went into the GI doc because I was having problems with reflux. EDG showed I had a faulty upper valve (hereditary). Said only two things are going to fix it 1) revision to bypass or 2) he would go in and put these magnetic things around the opening (uhm..no thanks!) So I waited. I waited a little over a year, and it got worse! Newest EDG showed 2 ulcers, the faulty valve, and a hiatal hernia. Surgery for revision to RNY is scheduled for July 2nd.  I never really did any research on RNY as it wasn't something I was interested in when I originally started this journey years ago, I'm still not so sure I want to do this but this is my only option besides it just getting a lot worse then they won't be able to fix it.

Other than the obvious, what differences are there in regard to post op healing, vitamins, complications, post op eating, etc.  From my understanding as I am a revision patient I will be hospitalized for 3 days, and she called it a partial bypass. She never really explained what that meant other than I was getting the bypass lol. I feel like I'm back at square one with only a few weeks notice instead of the 8 months I had previously hehe

SuzinDallas
on 6/17/14 12:51 pm

I was revised from Band to Bypass so I may not be much help. But my Dr told me I'd be in the hospital for 2-3 days depending.  I was discharged early in the morning of my second day.  

I had lots of acid reflux before surgery too and it went away almost instantly.  RNY was my only revision option because of the reflux.

Good luck to you! 

Revision from Lap-Band to RNY May 2014.  

Revision Consultation: 326   Day of Surgery: 310   Current: 250   Goal: 150

amanda D.
on 6/17/14 1:28 pm - Stayton, OR

Thanks for the response =0)

I'm glad to know that it took care of the reflux. I'm in misery right now and a slave to medications again. I take omeprazole 3 times a day, and carafate 4 times a day. When that doesn't work I take TUMs.

lin1970
on 7/8/14 10:56 pm

How did your surgery go? I have the sleeve but because of reflux (I had it prior sleeve) I might need the bypass. discovered via a barium swallow that I have a hiatus hernia. I see my surgeon next week.

amanda D.
on 7/9/14 4:02 am - Stayton, OR

Surgery itself went swimmingly. I'm a week out today and LOVE it!!! I love that I can have tomato soup and lemonade (pink and regular) with zero reflux.  Only problem I have is I was in the ER since 2 this morning (two different ones that is) One close to home, and one 2 hours away where my surgeon is. I have a nasty bacterial skin infection. No where near any incisions, just something that happens to me when I undergo any kind of surgery, my body is stupid lol

Best of luck with meeting with your surgeon next week,if they offer it, I say go for it. I haven't felt this great in years!

Lizzie_Bennet
on 7/9/14 6:59 am

I am glad to see you are doing well. I am waiting on my peer-to-peer results (which should be tomorrow) for sleeve (2009) to RnY. My insurance company denied my revision to RnY because it is 'weight loss' surgery, and it is specifically excluded by our policy. But I need it to fix my reflux. My esophagus has eroded. I watched my grandmother die of esophageal cancer--six weeks from diagnosis to gone. It was SO HARD! I don't want to go like that!!! I pray my surgeon can be...persuasive.

Hope your infection clears up quickly!

amanda D.
on 7/9/14 10:33 am - Stayton, OR

My insurance company covered 100% because it wasn't specifically for wls. I had all those things wrong with me that the only way to fix it was with bypass. I'm not sure which CPT or ICD-9 code my surgeon used to get it covered but all I know is I saw her 5 weeks ago for the very first time, then last wednesday was surgery.

amanda D.
on 7/9/14 10:40 am - Stayton, OR
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 440 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 395 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 333 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 432 views
Recent Topics