Pouch pain help me

Deana_
on 2/28/15 11:07 pm

I am a little over two months out and just the past two weeks I have been having trouble with drinking and eating. At least one meal a day I get the slimeys and throw up. However even when I'm not eating or drinking my pouch hurts. Right now it feels so sore like someone has been sitting on it. I feel nauseous as well. My surgeon wants to put me on carsfate and start me back on protonix but this feels like it's something worse. She said back to liquids for two days then soft foods. I don't know if it's the start of a structure or does anyone think I have a leak? I literally cannot lay any way but on my back. I was doing so good I am so upset. On a lighter note... I hit ONEderland today 

Kathyjs
on 2/28/15 11:12 pm

Your surgeon told you what to do. That's the best advice. Hope you feel better soon

Deana_
on 2/28/15 11:13 pm

Well no kidding. My question is really that is it normal for the pouch pain to be this severe. What signs should I be looking for to indicate a leak or something worse

Chilipepper
on 3/1/15 12:21 am

Severe is a relative term. Depends on you tolerance for pain.  However, you shouldn't have any pain that is not normal. Before they do a scope they will put you on Carafate and Protonix or a PPI. Did you stop taking your PPI after surgery? Take the meds and relax. Go back to fluids and give your pouch a rest. It could be a few different things but nothing that can't be corrected but see if the meds help. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 3/1/15 3:30 am - OH

Number one, the vast majority of leaks occur during the first or second week post-op.  Number two, what you are describing is not indicative of a leak.  Signs of a leak would be severe abdominal pain along with rapid heart rate, a fever, and nausea/vomiting.  Frequently there is also chest or shoulder pain and dizziness/weakness.  (Also, there really isn't anything worse than a leak in terms of mortality rate (from peritonitis)... a pulmonary embolism from a post-op blood clot would probably be worse... but that wouldn't cause pouch pain.)

Ulcers can hurt a LOT, so if you have an ulcer (which is apparently what your doctor suspects), yes, it could very well be "normal" for it to cause such distress.

Under normal cir****tances, though, no it isn't normal to have "severe" pain.  One person's "severe" pain is another person's "moderate" pain.  I thought pancreatitis hurt about as much as anything possibly could... until I had a large kidney stone and was in so much pain that I couldn't stop crying and couldn't even open my eyes!

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

White Dove
on 2/28/15 11:40 pm - Warren, OH

Highly likely your pouch is strained from throwing up.  Go back to liquids for a few days and let it rest.  This is not a sign of a leak. 

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

DailyMae123
on 3/1/15 12:09 am

Best advice to follow is your doctor even if you don't agree right away.   Whatever you ate your pouch didn't like it and got rid of it.  As someone else said throwing up makes your pouch sore.  It is delicate and needs pampering especially only two months out.  Go back to to liquids and let it rest.  Follow the doctors orders and give it a try.

Let us know how your feeling.

Poodlemac
on 3/1/15 1:58 am
RNY on 09/26/14

Sounds like maybe you're eating too much. That's the only time I get the slimeys or throw up. if you had a leak, you'd be deathly ill by now. 

Deana_
on 3/1/15 2:15 am

Well I eat 2.5 oz of protein with 2 oz veg and the slimeys come after one bite so no.. It's not me eating too much. I haven't eaten in over a day just doing liquids let's see what happens when I rest the good ol pouch

poet_kelly
on 3/1/15 2:26 am - OH

No, I don't think it's a leak.  if you had a leak you'd be very, very ill.  If a leak began two weeks ago and you hadn't had surgery to fix it, you'd most likely be dead by  now.

It could be a stricture, I guess, but doesn't really sound like it.  You throw up sometimes but not all the time.  A stricture would be there all the time.  Sounds more like it might be an ulcer.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 455 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 354 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 437 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 354 views