True confessions: Grazing and Prowling. What are your solutions for the hardest times?

dragonlove
on 3/11/15 2:43 am
RNY on 11/20/13

Do talk to your dietitian/nutritionist about this.  I encourage you to stick to your plan, but mine is 3 meals and 2 snacks.  

The way I curb mindless snacking while making dinner is to fix me a good drink - special soda or flavored coffee might work for you... since I'm really strict at not drinking during or after eating - the desire to finish the drink keeps me from putting food in my mouth because then the flavorful drink would end up wasted because I couldn't drink it.  Since most of this type of eating is mindless - I tell myself that if I still want the "bite" after I finish my drink, I'll come back and get it... since it was just mindless, once I'm done with the drink I never think about going back and getting a nibble of an ingredient!  It was simply the opportunity and habit trying to sabotage me!

For a planned snack, something you can do it to make a protein milkshake and enjoy it - some of the recipes are really yummy! You might even find that your family will want some too and you can be a force for good in improving their snacks!  I've also made a jello salad lately that works well for me as a snack... cottage cheese, pineapple, sugar free jello, and cool whip along with some pecans.  It is pretty decent on protein by itself, but I have started adding some protein powder in with it for a further boost!  Again - this is something others will love to share as well.

Good luck!  Find a solution that doesn't separate you from your family!

Pam (RNY: 11/20/2013)

Pokemom
on 3/13/15 3:28 am
RNY on 12/29/14

A few other people suggested a good drink.  I do think this will work for me, because it is very close to something I already do.  If I time it and make it a habit, that will help.  I also am very particular about the not drinking within a certain window of the eating.  I think this would really help me avoid the "bites."  Thanks.

BWB
on 3/11/15 4:08 am

You have been given lots of good advice.  In addition, you might try changing your schedule and see if it helps.  Fix dinner right after you eat lunch.  You won't be hungry or tempted to eat then, like while you are fixing it later in the afternoon.  Or, try to fix large quantities that you can freeze for more meals later in the month.

For me, I buy small bananas for when I need a boost, or a small orange.  I save the fruit for a snack.  When I'm really needy a celery with cottage cheese, tuna or chicken/lt mayo tastes really good.  I think the secret is planning ahead and having the right things on hand.  

I really like the idea of getting your kids to drink protein snacks.  When they get home plan some activities and take the protein drink with you. 

Pokemom
on 3/13/15 3:30 am
RNY on 12/29/14

There really has been a lot of really good advice here!  Very particular and helpful ideas.  I really like your idea of changing my dinner-fixing schedule.  I think that would make a big difference on many levels--beyond just the temptation to nibble.

siberiancat
on 3/11/15 4:09 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN

In lieu of honey - try SweetLeaf brand - Sweet Drops Liquid Stevia.  I like the vanilla creme flavor in my hot tea.  It is a plant product -  not a manufactured chemical like Nutrasweet or Splenda and has 0 calories.

Carbmaster yogurt is a good snack with 60 calories and 9 grams of protein and only 4 grams of carbs.

I also like organic cheese sticks, boiled eggs, organic cottage cheese for snacks.  I try to have protein first at meals and snacks, then veggies or fruit.

As much as possible stick to REAL food - meat/eggs/cheese, vegetables and fruit.  Stay away from processed food in bags, boxes where extra sugar, salt and chemicals are added.

Best wishes,

Penny

Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

Pokemom
on 3/13/15 3:31 am
RNY on 12/29/14

Thank you for those specific food ideas.  I will also look for the Sweet Drops.  I have used powdered Stevia before, but I like the idea of a flavored stevia.

Friends K.
on 3/12/15 9:11 am
RNY on 01/14/14

I plan something at 3 pm everyday. A quest bar, a shake or yogurt wi th apples usually.  Tea is my go to at night also. Sometimes a protein ice cream. Just a little bit goes a long ways. But only if I didn't have my 3 pm snack

5'4" SW=285 PreOp=-13 (surgery @272#,1/14/14), 2week=-12 (260#), 1M=-20 (252#), 2M=-9.5(242.5#), 3M=-18 (224#), 4 M =-10 (214#), 5 M=-11 (202#) 6 M=-11(190.5), 7M=-7.5 (183), 8 M=-6 lbs (177) 9M=-5 (172) 10M=-7.5 (164.5#)

Pokemom
on 3/13/15 3:32 am
RNY on 12/29/14

Thank you.  And BTW, your profile was one of the first ones I looked up when I was new on OH.  It is so awesome to see your progress.  Thanks and congratulations.

Pokemom
on 3/13/15 3:08 am
RNY on 12/29/14

Thanks to everyone for the very thoughtful replies.  I am sorry not to have acknowledged them sooner.  I was in charge of an event last night, and I am sooooooo glad it is over.  There is so much good advice here.

jastypes
on 3/16/15 3:27 am - Croydon, PA

Not sure where you got that plan.  My surgeon/dietician recommend eating 6 times a day -- small meals.  A "meal" can be an apple with peanut butter, or a sugar-free hot chocolate.  I eat at 7, 10:30, 1:00, 3:30, 6:30 and 9:30.  That takes care of all those in between times -- I know I'm not going to starve before my next meal!  Honey is one of the forms of sugar I am not allowed to have.  I believe it can set of cravings or produce dumping if you've had the RNY.

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 384 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 357 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 321 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 136 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 3 replies · 109 views
Recent Topics