True confessions: Grazing and Prowling. What are your solutions for the hardest times?

Pokemom
on 3/9/15 2:31 pm
RNY on 12/29/14

Well, I am a grazer.  And a prowler. 

I felt I did very well for the first two months after my surgery. Was so very particular about every habit.  But in the past week or so, I have really been fighting old habits.  And I am much more aware of them than I was before surgery.

I want to replace my old habits with better ones.   I thought people might have good advice for things I could try to be successful at these challenging times:

From about 3:00-5:30 in the afternoon.  This is graze temptation time for me because (1) it is when my kids are coming home from school and having a needed after-school snack; and (2) it is also when I am making dinner.  I find myself wanting to nibble at things as I prepare dinner, especially dinner ingredients or cheese or nuts.  I am not turning to carbs, but I am turning to other stuff to put in my mouth.

About 8:00-10:00.  This is prowl temptation time.  My uber-fit husband and my two older children (the college student arriving home from whatever, and the crazy-active 16-yr-old boy) are usually prowling in the kitchen for a snack at this time.  I find I want something too.  And I want something yummy.  I don't want a piece of chicken, for example.

I have tried a few things:

--chewing sugarless gum while making dinner

--having a planned snack when the kids have their snack.  My official plan says just 3 meals a day, each being just 2 oz.  But I think it is better to have a planned snack than to have a bunch of unplanned nibbles.

--at night, having hot herbal tea.  Lately I have been adding some honey to it.  I track this in MFP, but I think the honey is probably not a good idea.

--at night, leaving the common family areas like the great room area.  I miss the connection with my family when I do this.

Advice?  Thanks so much.

Doingrightin2015
on 3/9/15 4:57 pm
RNY on 03/10/15

I'm not there yet. Just having my surgery today! But I can't believe that you don't have planned snacks. My plan includes snacks. It also says not to eat 3 hours before bedtime. Talk with your NUT about this.

Doingitright2015

HW in life 282 HW265 at start SW 244 CW170

Pokemom
on 3/13/15 2:48 am
RNY on 12/29/14

I hope your surgery went well!

CGCL
on 3/9/15 5:12 pm
RNY on 02/19/15

I'd do like you are in the evening and have something warm to drink so I could hang out with my family. I also agree that the honey, while delicious, is not a good idea. Maybe change it up and make that your time to try a fun new drink? Like get crazy busy coming up with the best ever peppermint mocha chili lime twist lol!

Height: 6'0" HW 5/2013 295. Consult 7/29/14 275. SW 261. RNY 2/19/15. M1:-33! M2:-13.5. M3:-12. M4:-10.8. M5:-9.7. M6:-5. M7: -4.5. Pregnant 8/15-5/16. 10 weeks post partum: 173.

Pokemom
on 3/13/15 2:49 am
RNY on 12/29/14

That is a great idea:  to make sure my special drink is something that really seems like a treat to me--something that feels special instead of like a ho-hum substitute.  Thanks for that.

CGCL
on 3/16/15 5:37 am
RNY on 02/19/15

Or if you're using protein shakes, maybe save one to have at that time, but again made special. One of my faves is pretty simple: chocolate protein drink mixed into a large iced decaf coffee. 

Height: 6'0" HW 5/2013 295. Consult 7/29/14 275. SW 261. RNY 2/19/15. M1:-33! M2:-13.5. M3:-12. M4:-10.8. M5:-9.7. M6:-5. M7: -4.5. Pregnant 8/15-5/16. 10 weeks post partum: 173.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 3/9/15 8:49 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

Im a year out and my plan allows two snacks -- but I will tell you what I do. I drink coffees and teas. I get flavored K-cups, use sugar free syrups or cinnamon and 2 T half n half in my coffee.  My current tea obsession is peppermint green tea.  I sometimes add a splash of sugar free chocolate flavor (milk splash) and Splenda. 

If I need crunch, I like 1/4 c of dry roasted edamame.  I like chili lime and wasabi. If I crave sweet, I like 1/4 c of ricotta with a splash of sf red velvet cake syrup. If I'm craving salty -- I microwave 7 pepperoni till crisp.

other than the honey, I don't see you doing anything wrong. However, I don't want to discourage you from your plan. 

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Pokemom
on 3/13/15 2:52 am
RNY on 12/29/14

Those are some great ideas.  I have my next follow-up soon, and I will ask about the snacks. 

I love your idea for cinnamon in your coffee.  My doctor has said I can have coffee.  I don't actually drink coffee or tea (religious reasons), but I have discovered a thing called Crio Bru--it is cocoa beans that are roasted and ground like coffee beans.  I brew it in a French press and add a little unsweetened soy milk, sometimes a little coconut milk.  The warmth and aroma and flavor really do feel satisfying. 

CerealKiller Kat71
on 3/13/15 5:49 am
RNY on 12/31/13

Not to be personal, but are you Mormon?  Is it the caffeine that's not ok?  I ask because most of the herbal teas are decaf. Would that be ok?

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Pokemom
on 3/14/15 2:43 pm, edited 3/14/15 2:44 pm
RNY on 12/29/14

Yes, a Mormon. I guess I was probably pretty obvious about that. :-) It was really kind of you to suggest the herb teas, as I can see that my comment was confusing, and I should have clarified that I do drink LOTS of herb teas.  I love them.  I drank a lot of them before my WLS too.  It is herb teas I tend to drink at night.  In fact, today I was at Teavana and bought three different ones, one a favorite, and two new ones.  So much fun to smell all those blends.  

The caffeine question in the Mormon church is a strange one.  Caffeine sodas are not considered against the health code.  Decaf coffee is.  Although on both of those drink types,  individual members have their own opinions.  Overall, coffee and black/green/white teas are against the code, and in general, advice is to avoid habit forming items.

Most Active
Recent Topics