Why do some people have a filter placed when having surgery??

radze09
on 5/28/15 6:27 pm
RNY on 06/08/15

Talking to a lady today, she asked me if they were putting a filter in me and I had no idea what she was talking about. She said some people get it and others don't. Never heard of this till now. Why are they getting it and who gets it??

AmyDee123
on 5/28/15 6:40 pm - Lutz, FL
RNY on 06/12/15

It filters clots in the leg so they do not travel to the heart, brain or lungs.  Some docs do it to all their patients.  Some docs only do it to patients over a certain size, or with certain mobility issues.  I have a history of blood clots, however I have no mobility issues and am one of those who gets out of the hospital bed faster than they want me to in order to reduce risk, so my doc and I are quibbling over whether I get a filter or not.  Every situation is different.

LapBand Weight 460 (2006) | Panni Removal Weight 200 (2008) | 3rd kid (2009)
Revision to RNY Weight 355 (June 2015)

radze09
on 5/28/15 6:47 pm
RNY on 06/08/15

OK I could see that. The lady I was talking with about twice my size so maybe the weight and her moving around had the doc thinking a filter for her. I am a lightweight and don't have clotting issues. Thanks for helping to clear that up. Makes sense!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/29/15 8:58 am - OH

Just for additional info on the actual filter they are talking about... It is an inferior vena cava (or IVC) filter.  It is inserted either through a vein in your groin or through a vein in your neck into the inferior vena cava vein in your abdomen where it can help block any blood clots that break off from the legs or pelvis and keep them from traveling to the heart or lungs.

It isn't a filter like most people think of (e.g., a mesh filter)... It is a series of connected tendril-like wires.  You can Google it for a photo.

Some of them are temporary and are removed after the surgical recovery period (and risk of developing a clot) has passed, and others are intended to be left in permanently in people (like myself) with a strong history of DVTs (deep vein clots).

Ironically, I did not have one placed before my open RNY -- nor before an open hernia repair for the resulting incisional hernia -- but was done before my abdominal plastic surgery (which was a much easier recovery period than the RNY or hernia repair). At least with it in I have peace of mind knowing that I won't die from an embolism if I do develop another DVT.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

radze09
on 5/29/15 10:18 am
RNY on 06/08/15

It is great that nothing happened in the two surgeries prior to the placement. Hope you are doing well after all that!! ☺

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 461 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 416 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 356 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 437 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 356 views