There goes my hair...

Doingrightin2015
on 10/2/15 1:23 pm
RNY on 03/10/15

Those hairs just keep growing. I am pulling chin hairs every damn day!

Doingitright2015

HW in life 282 HW265 at start SW 244 CW170

kaniky
on 10/2/15 10:44 am
RNY on 05/18/15

I was almost convinced that I was not going to get hit by this because 3 months came and went. I'm 4 months out now and and the hair is going!! Mine wasn't that thick to begin with.

UGH!!

I never said it would be easy. I said it would be worth it.
M1: -15, M2: -14, M3: -8, M4 -11, M5 -8, M6 -7, M7 -8, M8 -4

(deactivated member)
on 10/2/15 12:25 pm
RNY on 05/04/15

I lost a good bit of weight pre-op and started losing my hair even before surgery. I regularly get over 100g of protein a day, and I still probably have less than half what I started with. I'm convinced nothing can stop it; you just have to count on the experience of others to have confidence that it will grow back. (Although I almost hope mine doesn't...I don't need to wa**** nearly as often now, and it's so much silkier and more manageable!)

Deanna798
on 10/2/15 12:43 pm
RNY on 08/04/15

I'm afraid all mine will come back in gray. I'm getting so gray that I know it's time to go to the salon when my roots get sparkly...

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

Queen JB
on 10/2/15 2:42 pm
RNY on 07/20/15

Me too! I'm pretty sure mine will come in grey. I only have a few silver hairs so far, but they have been popping up more regularly, and I am not seeing those fall out... Grr.

But I always said that whenI go grey will try dying it blonde for a bit, just to see how much fun they really do have ;-)

• High Weight before LapBand: 200 (2008)
  • High Weight before RNY: 160 (2015)
  • Lowest post-op weight: 110 (2016)
  • Maintenance Weight: 120 (2017-2019)
  • Battling Regain Weight: 135 (current)

seattledeb
on 10/2/15 6:27 pm

Any surgery with anesthesia can also cause hair loss.

When I look around the people I see with the thickest hair usually are overweight. They have plenty of calories so there body will produce some lovely hair. Right now your body needs every bit of calories/energy to keep you going. Hair is a low priority to your body.

The good news is that it grows back!

healthy-rickfan1971
on 10/3/15 12:00 pm

Yes, I had a couple discs removed and fusion in my neck July 15th. And I am losing more hair by the handfuls now than I did with the RNY in 9-7-12. I lost a lot with that, but this time there are really small bald spots. I expected some loss, but was surprised at the amount. especially since I Keep up my vitamins and get a whole lot of protein compared to the post RNY. But as you said, it will grow back. And besides, if I lose all of it, I will save a bundle on shampoo and conditioner

sweetpotato1959
on 10/2/15 10:22 pm

Juniper Berrry,

Just get some cold eze cold losenges... their active ingredient is ZINC...take one and use it 3 times a Week..... You'll know when your level is high enough, because they will get to where they taste "bad". Hair loss should stop very soon,after first two doses will slow... This will stop the hair loss. I use one, (or part of one) a week for maintainence. PCOS...they prescribe blood sugar meds, glyburide, to control that, you might want to ask your GYN, it reduces the hair...and when you loose weight it really does help the hormones to re-balance.. Been there, did that.

Adirondackmom
on 10/8/15 10:23 am

Like you I have super thick hair so I wasn't crazy worried either. It stopped right around the 6/7 month mark (I was pulling handfuls out daily) and loved my new thinner hair!! It was so much more manageable! So much easier to work with and curl! Even my hairstylist noticed! When it did grow back in (sadly, just as thick as ever) it wasn't gray so no worries.

Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 311 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 328 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 282 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 447 views