Cross-posting - Another Biggest Loser Study, with Interesting Results

kellybelly333
on 5/2/16 8:17 am - Toronto, Canada

Just posting this in a few spots, after reading about the fascinating research done following contestants from the Biggest Loser.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/02/health/biggest-loser-weigh t-loss.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur&_r=0

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

cheapskate
on 5/2/16 8:41 am
RNY on 03/30/15

Really interesting article and just solidifies why counting calories years out is so. Important 

Deanna798
on 5/2/16 8:59 am, edited 5/2/16 2:23 am
RNY on 08/04/15

I saw this earlier.  Makes me more determined to stay on track than ever.  

The struggle really IS real.  

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

CathyV
on 5/2/16 1:28 pm

I saw this too. I posted it on facebook and people asked if the metabolism crash was because they lost weight, or because they lost weight so quickly. Does anyone have any input on that aspect? Either way it explains a lot. I have been hanging out on WLS forums for a few weeks, waiting for my first surgeon appointment, and reading what everyone is eating on their daily posts. I have been surprised to see that even those who have been at their goal weight for a long time are eating what, to me, looks like a shockingly small amount of calories. Like, 800-1000 calories. And I think, "Why don't they become emaciated if they are eating so little??" This would explain it. 

dog_hair_dinner
on 5/3/16 5:42 am
RNY on 03/01/16

What you really want to avoid when losing weight is losing muscle.  This causes the "metabolic crash".  The more muscle you have your body, the more calories your body uses to maintain the mass.  Depending on your height, age, and sex, you CAN get your protein requirement in eating 800-1000 calories a day.  The generic calculation is to get 0.5 to 0.7g of protein per pound of body weight.  

As a doctor at the hospital I go to explained it to me, your body monitors the protein levels in the blood.  When they drop too low, your body starts to eat muscle from itself.  She said it was best to eat your recommended protein requirement spread throughout the day to avoid the protein levels in your blood from dropping.

I've seen a few episodes of Biggest Loser and it looks to me as though everyone is under-eating and over-excercising.  I have no idea if they are watching their protein requirements.  Since it is a competition to lose pounds, regardless of where those pounds come from, I imagine people will do whatever is necessary to win, even sacrifice their protein requirement.

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/2/16 4:16 pm

Because of many diets and exercises when I was younger, my metabolism was messed up way before my WLS.  That was the reason to get WLS. to get a chance to reset my low weight point. 

so far so good... 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

life_mirrors_art
on 5/2/16 5:58 pm - Canada

Interesting article. Thanks for posting.

RNY on June 23, 2014  -  HW: 280, SW: 230, CW: 166, GW: 140

JB1114
on 5/3/16 6:08 pm - Grain Valley, MO

I've often wondered how the contestants did after the show.  When they get back to real life, they can't possibly have the time to exercise as much as they do on the show.  It would be difficult to keep the weight off.

~Jo~

RNY: July 8, 2008

Dr. John Price

Kansas City, MO

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 448 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 403 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 337 views
What's on your Monday Menu?