What's your favorite protein powder?

T. Deeds
on 5/24/16 11:40 am, edited 5/24/16 6:05 pm

I have never found a protein powder that I like, but I'm trying to lose some weight after regaining some weight and I'm wanting to try some protein shakes. I'd love to hear what your favorite is.

rocky513
on 5/24/16 11:55 am - WI

It really doesn't matter what my favorite is since taste is so subjective.  What I love, you may hate.  A lot of people love the Syntrax Fuzzy Navel protein powder and I think it tastes like monkey butt.  Everyone is different.

At 5 years out you should be able to get enough protein by eating dense meats (like chicken, pork, steak, etc.).   Your pouch is fully mature so it will not behave the way it did when you were first out of surgery.  We had to do protein shakes early out because we did not have the ability to eat enough protein to meet the required grams daily.  At this point, protein shakes will not keep you satisfied because your pouch has grown.

Eat mostly dense protein (even for breakfast...skip the oatmeal... eat the eggs)  and veggies, limit your fruit to one very small serving per day, and don't eat simple carbs (like bread, crackers, pasta, sugary foods, rice, potatoes, etc.)  If you do this the weight will come off.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

T. Deeds
on 5/24/16 12:10 pm

Easier said than done, I need a quick and easy protein source that I can make with my kids underfoot and consume with one hand. Also, something that satisfies my sweet tooth.

The Salty Hag
on 5/24/16 1:18 pm
RNY on 05/20/13

Tuna pouches are open and eat. Lunch meat is quick and easy. Cheese sticks too. And pepperoni. Greek yogurt is a slider food,but easy to eat. Dannon Light and Fit Greek has awesome flavors-sweet tooth placated. Time constraints are real, believe me...I know first hand what it's like to be a busy mom. It would take me longer to get a shake made than it would to zip open a tuna pouch and grab a cheese stick.

Do you really have that little time for yourself? If you don't, you certainly should make some time. After they go to bed, take a few minutes and get stuff together for your meals the next day? Do you cook dinner for you and the kids? If so, make extra and eat the leftovers...quck, easy, and hopefully chock full of protein.

You really owe it to yourself to feed your body correctly. Protein shakes don't fill you up, they won't keep you satisfied for very long, and that may cause you to eat more often, then you'll have just added the extra shake calories on top of what you've eaten. The dense protein will keep you fuller longer, allowing you to eat LESS...so you can lose the regain.

What are you eating now? Do you log your food? How are your portions? You need to stick to small portions like we you did in your losing phase. Portion size tends to creep up over the years.

I just saw your "eat with one hand" statement. I'm really just curious..why can't you use both hands?? Even when I was at my busiest with my kids..I managed to use both my hands to eat.

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

T. Deeds
on 5/24/16 1:44 pm

Thanks for the protein suggestions. I'm doing cheese sticks. I don't like tuna or yogurt and lunch meat is a problem food for me.

I have a 2 year old and a baby that's nursing. I often have to eat when I'm holding the baby or nursing. There is no, "after they go to bed." I go to bed with my baby, she's up multiple times a night nursing, if I don't go to bed with her, I don't get enough sleep. 

I understand that you and others don't think protein shakes are good this far out, but my surgical practice doesn't discourage them. I am not looking for nutrition advice at this point, just protein shake recommendations.

And I am logging my food and measuring everything out.

ladygodiva1228
on 5/25/16 4:32 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15
On May 24, 2016 at 8:44 PM Pacific Time, T. Deeds wrote:

Thanks for the protein suggestions. I'm doing cheese sticks. I don't like tuna or yogurt and lunch meat is a problem food for me.

I have a 2 year old and a baby that's nursing. I often have to eat when I'm holding the baby or nursing. There is no, "after they go to bed." I go to bed with my baby, she's up multiple times a night nursing, if I don't go to bed with her, I don't get enough sleep. 

I understand that you and others don't think protein shakes are good this far out, but my surgical practice doesn't discourage them. I am not looking for nutrition advice at this point, just protein shake recommendations.

And I am logging my food and measuring everything out.

You will never feel full drinking protein shakes as far out as you are.  You really need to take time each day and plan your meals.  If you don't have an hour to set up your day then maybe you should hire someone to come help you out. 

If you are breastfeeding both an infant and a toddler you are not going get enough proper nutrients in by drinking shakes.  Have you thought that your daughter is "waking up multiple times at night" because you are not producing enough milk to hold her over?  My daughter was sleeping 8 hours a night at 2 months.  She had two  1 1/2hour naps during the day.  I breastfeed for 1 year and then switched to milk she never had formula as I produced plenty of milk.

Also Google is your friend when it comes to finding protein powders.  Everyone's taste buds are different so if one person likes one protein someone else may not.

Protein powders/drinks should be whey isolate.  Some I have used are Premier Protein, Quest, Syntrax, and Isopure by GNC.  The chocolate Isopure low carb is my favorite personally and I mix it with no sugar almond milk.    GNC sell some of them by the single serving and mybariaticpantry.com sells sample packs of several different kinds.

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

T. Deeds
on 5/25/16 4:38 am

I'm not planning to drink only shakes. My milk supply is fine. It's normal for breastfed babies not to sleep through the night.  

Thanks for the recommendation!

Laura in Texas
on 5/24/16 2:11 pm

This was so well said, Audrey. I know learning to take time to take care of myself first is what keeps me at goal at almost 8 years out. I am always reminded of the flight attendants *****mind passengers to put the airmasks on ourselves and THEN tend to our kids. We cannot be good parents if we do not take care of ourselves first.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

T. Deeds
on 5/24/16 4:47 pm

I'm just looking for protein powder recommendations, I'm not interested in other unsolicited advice.

Laura in Texas
on 5/24/16 7:24 pm

The wonderful think about the internet is you can ask whatever you want and we get to answer however we want.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 466 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 425 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 441 views