All my friends are obese

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 5/30/16 2:30 pm - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

Last year we lost a friend due to complications from a fall and broken hip, with obesity probably a factor.  That is the heartbreak of it all. 

Sharon

Laura in Texas
on 5/30/16 2:50 pm

I have a neighbor who constantly complains about her weight yet she too says she could never live like me (I eat basically anything I want to and consume 2000 calories a day). I just listen and nod and smile. There is no point trying to educate people *****ally do not want to listen. Perhaps in the future some of your friends will ask you for more information because they will realize they need the help.

I don't pay attention to what other people are eating. I am not observant like that, plus it is really none of my business.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Kelley425
on 5/30/16 5:23 pm

I was looking as your signature what happened as far as complications and being in the hospital 24 days? 

Age - 27 CW - 281 GW - 160 

Surgery Date - June 8th 2016

Catek2652
on 6/1/16 4:12 am
RNY on 10/26/15

My surgeon calls me a "super healer" and said I would probably survive being shot because I clot and heal so quickly. Everywhere there was an incision, it connected and grew into surrounding tissue creating a twist in the intestine and blockage. She had to cut and then rebuild my guts three times before she figured out what was going on. On the final surgery (which was performed open ... with an incision from sternum to pelvis and through my belly button...) all of my small intestine and pouch was wrapped with some sort of new non-stick material. As she worked on me the last time, she said she could actually watch scar tissue forming my body reacted so quickly.

Cate K

Northern Neck, VA 5'4" 56 years old

Highest weight 245: 7/1/2015, RNY surgery on October 26th. Had multiple complications and follow up surgeries and stayed in hospital for 24 days. Goal weight is 140.

RNY on 12/22/14

How unique - Someone prob will steal some of your cells and make some medical miracle and make a million bucks.

But - glad that the last time did the trick.

Sharon

Eggface
on 5/30/16 6:15 pm, edited 5/30/16 10:25 pm - Sunny Southern, CA

It took a couple of rock bottom/aha/come to Jesus health issues for me to finally be in a place where I knew I needed to do something more than what I have ever done. I think everyone who has decided to have WLS has a moment (or several) where they just knew it was time. Maybe your pals will have a moment like that, maybe not but... I will just say this... I remember feeling some of my skinny pals judgement when I went for a second helping or ordered dessert... please don't be that pal. Live your healthy new life and enjoy your friends in whatever place they are in their lives.

Word of caution... we (collective we, not you in particular) often (immediately post-op first year or 2) are so jazzed at how we feel that we want everyone in similar situations to feel the benefits... sort of bariatric evangelists for lack of a better term. It comes from a good place generally but we really do need to just allow people to come to decisions about getting healthier (or not) on their own... anyway... just had to say that.

Best wishes to you on your journey!

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Sherrie P.
on 5/30/16 6:19 pm
RNY on 02/06/13

There were times when I was fine with obesity - it was around my obese friends, eating and drinking. I miss that - consuming with reckless abandon. Not caring about the carb count. Not worried about my blood sugar.   It is much easier to stay fat than to lose weight. We all know that or we would not have turned to WLS. 

Maybe you will inspire someone to change. 

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/31/16 5:19 am

At 8 years post op - I rarely notice what anyone else eat. Or how much.  Unfortunately, some of my old friends are no longer my close friends.  Our eating habits become so different, that going out to eat was a chore.  Plus they focused so much on what I was not eating, trying very hard to "....taste this, ...get bite of that.... I know you want it...." etc. 

My skinny or normal friends were much more supportive and tolerant about my surgery or my eating habits. Most of the time they themself don't eat a lot, and they are also very selective about what they eat.  

When I have a get together now - a party- the food selection in my house mirror my eating... They may be some carby dishes - but not many .... Over the last 8 years I learned that if I offer a great selection of snacks - foods - not many people would chose the carby ones....even if they are offered.. . 

Now potluck- is another story... Still - if someone can have shrimps, smoked salmon, crab cakes..as appetizers...they would skip the pasta salad... Or bread...

Maybe next year you can think of ways to change the menu?   Protein forward dishes could be expensive - but they don't need to be.... 

I also noticed that almost any dish I bring to a party gets empty out before any other dishes .... 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Catek2652
on 6/1/16 4:17 am
RNY on 10/26/15

It is a potluck event. I could not afford to feed this crowd on my own. Everyone rolls in on Friday and leaves Monday afternoon. My hubby and I host the crew twice a year (Memorial Day Weekend) and the first weekend in August. Most camp on the property somewhere, but we have communal meals.

Cate K

Northern Neck, VA 5'4" 56 years old

Highest weight 245: 7/1/2015, RNY surgery on October 26th. Had multiple complications and follow up surgeries and stayed in hospital for 24 days. Goal weight is 140.

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/1/16 4:24 am

Yea.. In case like that - once the event was over - I hope they either took their leftovers - or, if not - you tossed them.  

First few years post op RNY I had to learn "it is ok to trush good food". As a child and adult - I learned never to waste food.   I still have days I deal with that... 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."