Vegan and Revision to RNYaa

CerealKiller Kat71
on 11/26/16 8:44 am
RNY on 12/31/13

BTW, I see your signature line ---

Don't limit yourself.  I started at 347 recorded weight (I had been higher) and now weigh between 135 and 144.  You can do anything you set your mind to. 

You may find yourself happiest at 200 lbs -- and if so, that's great!!  But, I know when we start out heavier it can just seem SO overwhelming.  I just wanted you to know that I had started at a very similar place.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Stephanie S.
on 11/26/16 8:48 am - NC
DS on 01/24/17

You are definitely an inspiration!!   I will keep that in mind.  I can't even imagine weighing less than 200.  I graduated high school at 200 so I can remember what that looked and felt like.  Your current weight was probably my weight in like 6th grade, so it just seems so unrealistic for me.   Maybe I should say my first goal is 200 and then I'll reevaluate and make new goals :)

HW: 349   CW: 295   GW: 175

CerealKiller Kat71
on 11/26/16 8:53 am
RNY on 12/31/13

Ha!  I understand completely.  The Cleveland Clinic's goal for me was 210, and I couldn't have even imagined that.  Seriously.  I blew that out of the water and kept lowering my goal as I gained confidence.

Take a look at Grim's post below this portion of the thread.  He lost all that and has maintained for years.  

My advice:  Look at the people who've met their goals and have maintained it for more than a year or two.  Follow what they do. Don't try to re-invent your route when a clear path is already there for you to use.   

That's been key to me.

I wish you nothing but success. 

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Teena D.
on 11/28/16 7:02 am - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 01/12/17

Don't try to re-invent your route when a clear path is already there for you to use.   

RNY Jan 12, 2017 Lost 137 lbs but regained 60.

77 lbs lost and counting!

Losing the regain! I got this!

NYMom222
on 11/26/16 12:54 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I started at the Bariatric surgeon at 383. I hadn't been under 300lbs in 20 years. I am now 165lbs at 5'11" tall and very much within normal range. Did I know for sure it would happen? No ...but set a 'normal BMI' goal- and then mini goals along the way and just kept pushing forward...

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Grim_Traveller
on 11/26/16 7:54 am
RNY on 08/21/12

I'm a strict meatatarian. I haven't had a vegetable in four years. RNY fits my lifestyle like a glove. Vegan is much harder, but there are some that manage it. But they have to watch their intake very, very closely to make sure they get proper nutrition. It's a lot more work.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

hollykim
on 11/26/16 8:52 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On November 26, 2016 at 3:06 PM Pacific Time, Stephanie S. wrote:

I became vegan almost 2 years ago for ethical reasons, primarily animal welfare.  So it is a difficult decision.  I see that meats are difficult for many to eat.  I read that it often causes dumping and/or sits like a brick.  So I'm not sure that meat sounds all that appealing to eat after surgery, even if I weren't veg*n.  Do you eat meat?

Can you remind me what slider foods means?

animal welfare is high on my priority list but I buy and eat only humanely raised and processed grass fed pasture raised animals. It is certainly more expensive but allows me to meet my physical need for high protein and my ethical need regarding animals. The most weight I ever gained was eating vegetarian.

Stephanie S.
on 11/26/16 8:59 am - NC
DS on 01/24/17

Interesting... I don't want to admit it, but I feel I must...  It is after going vegan that I started my weight gain after my first surgery.  sigh  A sad realization.  My heart is heavy.  I have to figure out a way to balance my ethical views with my health needs.

HW: 349   CW: 295   GW: 175

H.A.L.A B.
on 11/26/16 8:56 am

I don't eat much cheese - allergies, but can't imagine not eating eggs or jello - collagen. 

Fish are also essential. 

I do eat a lot of meats eggs and nuts..

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

NHPOD9
on 11/26/16 8:49 am

I've only seen one successful vegetarian long term post op on these boards. Not saying it can't be done, but it is much, much harder to do.

I don't intend to come across as rude, but what makes you think a revision will result in success? You mentioned above that becoming vegan was when your weightloss stopped. While there is malabsorption for about two years with RNY, we tend to malabsorb fats. Carbs, which seem to be the mainstay of vegan diets, are easily digested and are not really malabsorbed. You already have a restriction WLS. The RNY won't help you lose more weight if you continue to eat a typical vegan diet.

If you were to eat dense proteins again, you'd probably also find you wouldn't need a revision (which are risky procedures). Just some thoughts to consider. Best of luck to you.

~Jen
RNY, 8/1/2011
HW: 348          SW: 306          CW:-fighting regain
    GW: 140

He who endures, conquers. ~Persius

Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 353 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 351 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 297 views