BM's

Willisa1
on 12/3/16 5:09 pm
RNY on 10/27/16

Can someone please give me suggestions on how to get ride of this constipation. I barely have a BM once a week. I'm taking an iron pill plus a stool softener and I'm clogged so bad. I think this is why I'm feeling so bad.

(deactivated member)
on 12/3/16 5:30 pm
RNY on 11/22/16
(deactivated member)
on 12/3/16 5:33 pm
RNY on 11/22/16

Miralax works very well.  Mix a capful in your coffee or tea in the morning everyday. Also make sure your getting your fluids in.

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/3/16 6:11 pm

I use Miralax every day. 

Also - some it on are worse to cause constipation than others. For most people - carbonate iron caused the least side effects like constipation. 

What iron are you taking? 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Willisa1
on 12/3/16 6:30 pm
RNY on 10/27/16

What my Dr recommended. Over the counter iron 65mg/325 mg Ferrous Sulfate

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/3/16 6:36 pm

Yea.. Most docs do ...but that one is the worst not only to cause constipation but the least absorbtion.. 

OTC iron carbonate - taken together with vit C is suppose to the easiest for RNY person. Even for normal person.

There is iron that is much better but it is much more expensive- heme iron.

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

breck_fish13
on 12/5/16 8:11 am
RNY on 11/04/14

What mg iron do you take? Is iron carbonate better for you.? I take the 65mg otc.

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/5/16 9:26 am

I was told the carbonate is much better - but personally I can't take any oral. Notonly I don't absorb it- but due to my IBS -  it causes severe cramps and pain.   Currently I am on patchMD iron (patch that I stick to my skin) I think it is helping to keep my iron storage.  

for 3 years post-op RNY I tried different irons and dealt with a lot of pain,and still my iorn dropped to the level I needed iron infusions.  I had that done 3 times over 3 years span.   Now - so far with patch MD my iron and ferritins are holding above my "critical" levels. 

My body hated the iron infusions plus they are expensive and time consuming. And anytime anyone is shooting anything in your vein - that is possibility of body severe reaction. So in anything else- trying to avoid that - is, IMO,  a great idea. 

selhard
on 12/3/16 6:23 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

Some suggestions:  Miralax (think Miracle), probiotics, daily walk, routine, google constipation, and limit cheese consumption.

cc583
on 12/3/16 8:45 pm - Middletown, CT
VSG on 09/28/16

I have good luck with just 2oz or 3oz of unsweetened prune juice a day.

5'5" HW: 484, SW: 455,CW: 325

Surgeon, Darren Tishler

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 452 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 409 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 348 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 436 views
Recent Topics