Struggle with buying clothes

Laura in Texas
on 1/17/17 7:11 pm

By 5 years out, I was used to my new look and it was my new normal. Have you talked to a therapist to work through your feelings? You had mentioned before how embarrassed you still are about ever being morbidly obese. I know forgiving myself for becoming obese has led to my mental peace now. I do think that peace carries over to all aspects of my life.

I do think the idea of a stylist like White dove mentioned would be good for you. If you do have a muffin top and loose skin, good shapewear helps to smooth everything out. There are a lot out there that are comfortable. I like Flexees brand much better than Spanx.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Brandi Girl
on 1/18/17 5:05 am
WLS on 10/18/11

Your reply was dead on!!! I know my issue's are things I need to work through one way or another. It's funny because I see other peoples before and after photo's and I not only find them so inspiring but also I think how proud they must be of themselves. But I can not look at my own. Guess this is what I need to work on and I really think this site will help me with that! It is so nice to know everyone here can relate and we all have this common thread. 

CJ On Orcas
on 1/17/17 7:13 pm
RNY on 09/09/16

I am currently a size 14/16... been shopping and always find myself back in the plus sizes.  Fitting clothes make me nervous but pictures show that they really do look better.  If you have loose skin some buy those smoothing undergarments but they bother me.  I think we just have body dysmorphia and although I hope it changes someday it might not.  

I went shopping over the holidays and found some sweaters that I love.  I still love the sizes ;)

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/18/17 5:43 am

Most "smoothing" undergarments that I buy now are 1-2 or even 3 sizes larger than my current size in clothes. I want them to smooth things just so without me feeling like a stuffed sausage that can't breathe.  

I try them on, sit in them, bend over..Etc.. if I struggle to put them on - and take them off - they are too small for me. No matter what the tag says. 

I buy mine in Ross or Walmart. I don't spend a lot of $$$ on something like that. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Teena D.
on 1/18/17 2:22 pm - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 01/12/17

I'm filing this for future reference!

RNY Jan 12, 2017 Lost 137 lbs but regained 60.

77 lbs lost and counting!

Losing the regain! I got this!

CathyV
on 1/17/17 8:17 pm

I think this is really common. My surgeons office posts patient success stories on their Facebook page and in the after picture the person is almost always wearing clothing that is way too big! 

HW- 375

SW- 358

GW- 175

CathyV
on 1/17/17 8:20 pm

If you can afford to try something like Gwynnie Bee or Stitchfix? Just a thought....someone more objective would be picking the clothes and you could kind of experiment that way. 

HW- 375

SW- 358

GW- 175

Brandi Girl
on 1/18/17 5:02 am
WLS on 10/18/11

I really do appreciate all the in put from everyone on this site! I am so glad I started participating instead of just stalking. haha I am working on getting up the nerve to open up more on here and off this site. I do know that if I started posting photo's on this site I would get honest opinions about what looks best for my new shape!! Might be the incentive I'm looking for to be more "free". 

Pokemom
on 1/18/17 7:02 am
RNY on 12/29/14

I totally get it!  I want to show off my new shape, but I do not want to draw attention to my flaws, and I feel I have so many.  I still see myself as roly poly. 

One thing I did was intentionally purchase things I might not have worn before.  I went to an inexpensive store and tried on gobs of things.  Took home the top 15 items.  Asked my husband his opinion.  Kept a few things.  Then I noticed myself over a few months.  What did I always reach for in my closet?  

I have now tried to purchase things at more pricey stores (not really pricey, and I do watch for sales.).  Again, I try to get some things that I would not have worn before.  And now I am noticing:  what do I choose again and again? 

supershopper
on 1/18/17 9:44 am

I think everyone has given you some great advice. I like the pic/personal shopper option the best (because I like to style and shop for others). Over time you will be more familiar with what looks good on your body versus hanging there. You may need to get some spanx/compression if your muffin top is distracting you from finding nice fitting clothes.

I'm over a year out and now I can tell by looking at something on a hanger if it will fit me or not. I also know certain styles of pants (like trouser style) do not fit me right in the butt area and make it look saggy.

All this will come in time but if you have any particular questions you can always message me. Happy to help :)

HW 305 SW 278 Surgery weight 225 GW 160 LW: 118.8

RNY 12/15/2015,

GB removal 09/2016,

Twisted bowel/hernia repair 08/2017

M1 Dec 2015-13.0, M2-7.0, M3-14.5, M4-9.4, M5-7.1, M6 9.8, M7-7.6 ,M8- 7.6, M-9 5.5, M10-6.4, M11- 2.2, M12 Dec 2016- 5.8