Iron and vitamins

jeepgirlsd
on 4/27/17 8:55 pm - San Diego, CA

hey everyone i am a RNY post-op of 16 years and it's just in the last four weeks that my iron has been normal I am no longer anemic I was taking the chewable iron hundred and 20 milligrams from Bariatric Advantage and though it got some of my iron levels up my saturation still was low so I decrease my dosage to approximately 30 milligrams of the chewable iron from Bariatric Advantage and also in taking High potency iron ferrous sulfate 325 milligrams Walgreens brand and that along with the chewables have brought me up to normal levels also I decided to try the gummy vitamins multiple ones for example vitamin D vitamin B12 and multi-vitamin since I started taking those my levels have increased from dangerously low the nice thing about the gummy vitamins is it's almost like I'm eating candy little bit of sugar but not too bad again it's going to be different for each person but for me they worked wonderfully.

Grim_Traveller
on 4/28/17 3:57 am
RNY on 08/21/12

I'm glad your levels are better. But gummy vitamins are a very poor choice. They are missing a lot of essential vitamins and minerals.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

jeepgirlsd
on 4/28/17 5:15 am - San Diego, CA

For me they work. I wasnt sure but i have been getting labs.done and the increase to normal in all my levels is much better then before i was taking them. May just depend on the person

Grim_Traveller
on 4/28/17 6:58 am
RNY on 08/21/12

The thing is, they CAN'T work. They can't increase levels they contain ZERO of. You either haven't been using them very long, or you aren't getting complete labs done.

When I get ALL vitamins and minerals checked, it requires 15 vials of blood.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

jeepgirlsd
on 4/28/17 7:16 am - San Diego, CA

I take other vitamins too- So I am getting what I need. I am just saying for example my Vitamin D was dangerously low, and after taking the straight Vitamin D (along with some liquid D too once a week) my levels are normal. my B12 was low too and after 1 month of these gummies it was actually high! I am very fair skinned and cant be in the sun too long to get it naturally. Again I am not using them for ALL my vitamins- I understand your point, but this forum is to help others with what works for each of us. My Dr is fully aware I am taking these along with other vitamins and she is good with it as long as my levels are where they need to be.

My other point, which you wont agree with, is there are people that have/had a sweet tooth. I feel like my sweet tooth gets satisfied with these.

Each person needs to do what is best for them- I am again only offering what is working for me.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 4/28/17 8:29 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Make sure you are logging the calories and carbs from your vitamins along with your other foods.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

jeepgirlsd
on 4/28/17 8:35 am - San Diego, CA

I dont log everyday- but remember I am 16 years out from Surgery- so I have tried many different things. But since I am getting older I am watching now more what I take. And now feel I have a strong vitamin regime going! :)

Kathyjs
on 4/28/17 4:34 pm

I had RNY in 2003 and at first I was so good about vitamins. Then many years pass and I got lax. First symptom was bone pain....vitamin D 50,00mg fixed that. Tired ... iron solved that and latest was my feet were going numb. Turns out my b12 was low. Back to one shot I give myself every month. By the way I am actually below goal and love gummy bears :-) maybe check out those vitamin gummies. In other words, no matter how far out you are, you need your vitamins

(deactivated member)
on 5/1/17 5:31 pm

My iron is chronically low and I'm anemic. I can't stomach iron, though. It rips my stomach apart, causing unbearable pain. I wish I could get it under control so my energy (amongst other symptoms) would improve, but I just can't tolerate iron. Congrats to you, though!

(deactivated member)
on 5/1/17 5:34 pm

My iron is chronically low and I'm anemic. I can't stomach iron, though. It rips my stomach apart, causing unbearable pain. I wish I could get it under control so my energy (amongst other symptoms) would improve, but I just can't tolerate iron. Congrats to you, though!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 459 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 416 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 356 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 437 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 356 views