Should I Be Able to Eat This Much?

ElizaP
on 7/20/17 3:44 pm

Thank you for taking the time to write, SmurfyChick. As prepared as I felt, there is nothing like living this to make you realize just how much you don't know. :)

Amy R.
on 7/18/17 5:25 pm, edited 7/18/17 8:10 pm

You'll do great. And asking is never a bad thing if you have questions; I certainly would never discourage anyone from asking questions if they need answers. But in this case, when the answers from your own surgeon and his plan are within reach, it kind of sends up a little worry regarding why you are posting here and not asking the one in charge of your health and healing. Not because you shouldn't ask but because you are asking the wrong people (namely us here on OH).

It is tempting at times to ask, hoping to receive an answer different than the one already given by the expert. Perhaps it's human nature to want to find someone who "agrees" with us so we are in a sense absolved of our personal responsibility (So-and-so had extra servings and didn't stick to her surgeons rules for advancing the post op diet. So I'll probably be ok too.) Add that to the fact that we all want to be friendly etc. After all, none of us wants to bring the drama or look "mean".

But we wouldn't be very good fellow WLS neighbors if we didn't raise at least a tiny flag when we see the slightest possibility of trouble ahead. Believe me, you too will get to the point where you can see the train coming earlier and earlier.

You're going to be fine. I know this because you are still actively engaging here and haven't deactivated. Some things/questions/decisions are harder or more irritating than others. But we can do hard things. AND we can learn to work this stuff out for our own individual food plans. It will quite literally change your life.

ElizaP
on 7/20/17 6:26 am

Thanks for your response. I guess I'm still learning what is and isn't okay to ask. I really, truly thought asking something like this at 7:15pm, when your surgeon's office is closed was okay. I was feeling anxious about it and rather than work myself into a tizzy thinking about it until the office opened, I asked about the tortilla.

Maybe I'll get the hang of it because this time around it seems like how I asked, what I asked and when I asked have all been made to question my long-term sucess when I promise you that I was just curious about the less than a cup of food I ate, whi*****luded a tortilla.

Will I stumble and struggle? Absolutely. I have learned a lot about what to eat and what not to eat by asking my question, but I do wish that I had worded things differently.

Thanks again for taking the time to write.

Amy R.
on 7/20/17 2:10 pm

You'll be fine. I will work on my delivery.

Take care and enjoy these early months of rapid losing. It goes by really fast.

ElizaP
on 7/20/17 3:46 pm

You have nothing to worry about, Amy! I appreciated what you said because it made me rethink a lot. :)

Mahalo F.
on 7/18/17 6:46 am

Hello ElizaP,

There has been a lot of great advice given here.

I am just over 6 months out & I would not have been able to eat that or that amount of food at 4 weeks.

I followed my plan & progressed through the stages that were recommended.

I eliminated the starches completely...

No pasta, no potatoes, no rice, no bread or grains of any kind. Stay away from them...

I got my carbs eating clean. Fruits & vegetables.

My advice to you? Slow down & progress through your stages slowly. Weigh your food & keep track of your protein amounts. There is a life time of eating ahead.

At your stage, I will still drinking the protein shakes, Greek yogurts, ricotta, & cream cheese & a whole lot of water.

I have found the advice here on OH has supported my great success. Tough love is often very hard to swallow, but keep in mind it is given with great intentions. I am down 105 lbs. & I will most likely stay away from the starches & continue eating clean.

Take care !

Roux En Y - Jan. 4, 2017

HW 283 SW 260 CW 165

IN THE END WE ONLY REGRET CHANCES WE DIDN'T TAKE.

ElizaP
on 7/18/17 7:09 am
Thank you, Mahalo. Super good advice. I think that my anxiety gets the best of me, because i can eat the amount that I measured and I just hear people say that they cannot. I have certainly learned to continue to weigh and measure, to avoid carbs, and to not put a lot of stock into a full feeling. I'm super grateful for this community. :)
CerealKiller Kat71
on 7/18/17 6:48 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I hope you will take this in the spirit is intended.

When you ask for advice, it's alway good to look at the "success" and length of time someone has with their surgery. Model yourself after people who've achieved what you desire to, not by those who say what you want to hear.

Notice the responses above that may feel hard to take are from people who have a lot of experience and success.

Keep in mind that I've lost over 200 pounds and am maintaining it. I can promise you that despite the belief that "once I lose the weight, I will never gain it back!" -- maintaining is at least twice as hard as losing.

That is why you have to change how you view food NOW -- during your honeymoon phase.

So, the answer to your question isn't whether or not you should be able to eat something/an amount, but rather, should you be choosing to eat something/an amount.

The distinction is important.

In fact, the way you have approached it is a huge red flag to most vets. It demonstrates an inner belief that the surgery will do the work for you.

I am not a vet, yet. However, I can tell you truthfully, your RNY will do the work for you -- for a short time (nearly everyone loses during the honeymoon despite how badly/much they eat), but in the long-run, not changing the way you see food will catch up with you. Just type in "regain" and "never met goal" to see all the posts that address this... In three and half years, I've watched people waste their surgery time and time again.

So, back to your question: your nerves have been cut and you are mostly eating slider foods (soft foods) right now. Yes, you will be able to eat more of those because, well, they slide through your pouch and stoma and in addition, your nerves haven't regenerated.

DO NOT RELY ON FEELING FULL. If being full was a good regulator, most of us would have never become obese.

You need to rely on your scale and measuring cups. END of story. At 3.5 years out, I still weigh and measure everything. Why? Because my eyes lie, the fat girl inside me wants more and I have never once felt "full." Being full means being 347 pounds again. No thank you.

Finally, cut out the carbs. I still haven't eaten a tortilla -- and there's no way you should have crackers, tortillas, bread, rice, potatoes, et****il you are at goal and maintaining at the very soonest. Truthfully, it's a waste of your honeymoon period.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

ElizaP
on 7/18/17 7:05 am
Thank you for the advice. Everything you're saying makes sense and you're right about my approach. The question wasn't meant to be a "can I get away with this?" situation, but more of an "is this normal?" one. I should have prefaced everything by saying that my measured meal, with the exception of the tortilla, fit the surgeon's plan. I want to hear the good, the bad and the ugly, but I think that maybe I was just surprised. I now know that even though crackers and similar carbs are on the plan, I should just avoid them. In fact, it's killing me to eat half a banana each day for a potassium deficiency because I hate seeing those carbs go up. I will never be one to cheapen the surgery or take for granted that it is a tool to reset my life that will allow me to make better choices which will become healthy habits and I appreciate this community for the people who were brace enough to do this before me. Thank you for the good advice, Kat.
cheapskate
on 7/18/17 8:35 am
RNY on 03/30/15

Thanks for this Kat! I needed to "hear" this as well...dusting of my scales tonight. Fat Cheapskate WILL NOT WIN!