Possibly going for a Revision. Had DS in 2011

kinwy78
on 1/23/15 11:48 pm - NE

I had the DS done in Dec 2011.  Even before that I suffered from Reflux.  Afterwards I still had problems with it and my surgeon put me on Prevacid.  My reflux is very severe and my esophagus spasms bad as well and my hiatial hernia came back again.  I was just switched to a sublingual prevacid and now take it twice a day, but so far still have no good results. I have tried other reflux meds, but they haven't helped.

My surgeon said I would have to have a revision done, but my husband is afraid I will have dumping and more issues eating and will basically end up with a RNY.  I am in so much pain from the reflux and the spasms.  I don't know how much more I can take of the pain and feeling horrible all the time.

Has Anyone had a DS and then had to have a revision, that basically resulted in a RNY?

Any help would be great! Thanks for listening.

Andie
on 1/22/15 9:44 am - FRANKFORT, OH

Did you ask your Dr, if thats what he is talking about doing...is the RnY?  I have read where a lot of people end up with reflux, but my husband had severe reflux and on meds and after rny had no more problems, but have heard of a lot of people that still end up with it...sorry you have had such a rough time and certainly hope that you get better.

ShebasMom
on 1/22/15 11:43 am
Revision on 07/05/16

I had rny surgery because of my severe GERD, I wanted the sleeve. I've had GERD most of my life, but it didn't become severe until my weight was over 250 lbs. I was put on Prilosec in 1998 and then Nexium when it came out and I'm still on prescription Nexium. My head of bed was elevated 45 degrees and now it is 20 degrees. My reflux improved with rny, but it did not go away. I still measure my food, because if I eat more than 10 oz, I am very uncomfortable. Just a suggestion, have you tried measuring your food to see what max volume you're comfortable at? Also caffeine and mints are irritants to your esophageal sphincter (the muscle that keeps the top of the stomach closed) and can worsen reflux. I hope you can find a solution to your reflux.

Ladytazz
on 1/26/15 2:58 pm

I was revised from a DS to a RNY pouch in 2010 for many reasons and it did completely cure my GERD.  I haven't had a Prilosec since 3 months post op.

I do dump but I found out by accident and it just reinforced my commitment to avoid sugar, which was a huge problem before and after my first WLS.

I have no regrets about my revision at all.  I have few food issues as long as I avoid sugar and refined carbs.  I also avoid things with gluten.  I lost all the excess weight and got a bit too low.  I am now pretty much evened out and as long as I avoid those things I don't have any problems.  In fact, other then the fact that I can't eat a lot, more times I forget I've had WLS.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Most Active
Recent Topics