IN SHOCK. Need my band out what is the best revision?

bandgirl
on 6/26/16 3:26 pm

I just got back from the hospital and they said my band needs to come out.  Not looking for another surgery but looks like I have no choice on this one.  My band flipped and haven't thought about it in many years till I started having trouble.  Would love to hear from anyone who has gone from a band to another WLS.   Also, anyone have to have it removed right away and had the revision done at the same time?

ladygodiva1228
on 6/28/16 5:46 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

I had a band to bypass done a year and a half ago.  I couldn't be happier.  I was able to have the two surgeries done at the same time, but that is not always possible.  Some people have a lot more damage than others and have to have two separate surgeries. 

Had I decided on the sleeve I would have had to wait at a minimum 3 months after my band was removed. 

A flip band is never good and it could very well do enough damage where you can't have a revision done.  It has happened to some people.  Hopefully that is not the case for you.

Best of luck.

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

bandgirl
on 6/28/16 7:35 am

Wow, thank you this is really good to know.    I'm worried about doing the full bypass that is called the RNY correct?   I agree with you I don't think I want to do 2 surgeries. 

Laney67
on 6/28/16 7:17 am

If you go to Facebook to a group called Duodenal Switch and join or Bariatricfacts.com and ask about revision to DS you will find that it has great success with permanent weight loss over any other revision surgery out there I am in the process of waiting to get approved. I had gastric bypass in 2003 and gained 75% of my way back looking to do a revision to DS. Good luck!! 

bandgirl
on 6/28/16 7:41 am

Thank you I will check that out.  I guess I should worry about the gaining process, but I didn't expect to have my band removed and started a program called Isagenix and hope with the extra weight loss tool and Isagenix I will be happy and healty I love that stuff.  So much info to look into never thought about the DS and will check it out.  Good luck hope all goes well with you and your revision. 

sheriberi29
on 6/28/16 9:25 am - Cleveland, TN

Today I am 8 weeks post op from band removal and rny surgery. Instant relief from the pain and inability to enjoy eating whole foods. I have lost 20 lbs and honestly, if I did not lose one more lb, the surgery would be worth the quality of life I've been given back. I had some damage from my band and was not a candidate for the sleeve due to reflux and the damage. Good luck in your process . 

Banded 6/9/09 HW 242 LW 142 Revision 198 m 1 loss 16 lbs 182. M 2 loss 4 lbs 178. M3 loss 6 lbs 174.m4 loss 4 lbs 168. M5 gain 2 lbs 170. M6 loss 7 lbs 163 M7 loss 5 lbs 159 M8 loss 1 lb 158 M9 loss 0 M10 155 loss 3 M11 154 loss 1 M12 loss 2 152 M13 loss 3 149 M16, 17 0 loss M 18 loss 4 lbs 145 (18 months 53 lbs)

Hilarious
on 7/1/16 12:24 pm - Coram, NY

Hi,

My lapband slipped last year and had to be removed. Since the slip caused some damage to my esophagus, the sleeve was not an option for me, only the RNY (gastric bypass). My surgeon prefers to do the surgery in one step (removal and revise) but said it would depend on the amount of scar tissue she found. Fortunately I had it done it one procedure. The surgery wasn't too bad and I was out of the hospital by 4pm the next day. 

Although I loved the band, I'm much more comfortable with the bypass. I can eat anything I want without getting sick or stuck. I forgot how it felt to eat without the band and it's really refreshing. I've lost more weight and I feel great.

Good luck with whatever decision you make and I hope you feel as good as I do ?

Hilari

Banded 3/07 -HW 350+, Height 5'3" SW 338, lost 100 pounds, maintained 80 pound loss

Revision to RNY due to band slip 10/29/15 - SW 260, GW 140, CW 153

bandgirl
on 7/1/16 4:07 pm

That sounds great.  I just got back and had it taken out.  I'm glad the band is gone, but just not sure about a second surgery.  I was lucky and found a great bariatric doctor so quick.  I had many nurses tell me they had the RNY done and would do it again it has been great.  Wish I could have done it all in one surgery that maybe would have changed my mind on having it done.  With the RNY can you swallow pills?   I know you have to get a lot of vitamins and good nutrition in. 

Steven354
on 7/2/16 3:53 am

I'm in same boat as you. Had lapband removed in February due to sever complications after 8 yrs. leaning towards rny   I tried to maintain weight loss but it seems like an uphill battle.  It is definitely a tough decision since rny cannot be undone like a lapband.  Post your decision.  Good luck

Hilarious
on 7/2/16 4:34 am - Coram, NY

Hi,

i have no trouble with swallowing pills. My first multivitamin was pill form and I took it three times per day. That company discontinued their bariatric pills so I switched to chewables. It turns out to be easier for me since we aren't allowed to drink for 30 minutes after we eat so I just chew one of these after breakfast and before bed.

I thought the vitamins would be hard but it's not so bad. I have to take two multivitamins a day that include iron and two calcium chews a day. The multi and the calcium have to be spaced out at least two hours apart as iron and calcium can cancel each other out. The worst thing that happens is I skip a calcium every now and then if I forget to take it. So far all vitamins have been at good levels at 3 and 6 months post-op.

Sorry you were not able to get the RNY in one surgery. I do believe that the RNY is reversible though, so do a little more research on that.

Please let us know what you decide to do and best of luck to you!

Hilari

Banded 3/07 -HW 350+, Height 5'3" SW 338, lost 100 pounds, maintained 80 pound loss

Revision to RNY due to band slip 10/29/15 - SW 260, GW 140, CW 153

Most Active
Recent Topics