Band to Sleeve-one or two surgeries?

whithark
on 9/14/18 1:17 pm - Bristol, RI

I am meeting a new surgeon next month to discuss my band removal and revision options. I am mostly interested in the sleeve. I've never had reflux issues so I am not too concerned about that.

I'm wondering those *****vised to the sleeve from the band, was it done in one surgery? My band has been empty for 4 years. Hoping it can be done in one.

Jaime 

Grim_Traveller
on 9/14/18 2:04 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Some are done in one surgery, but more often than not it is 2 surgeries, at least a few months apart.

Because the band causes damage to the stomach, it can be dangerous to do a sleeve through the damaged area. It needs to heal first.

Band to RNY is almost always done in one procedure, because the RNY doesn't need to go through the scarred portion of the stomach.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

ladygodiva1228
on 9/17/18 4:07 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

Most surgeons do the band to sleeve revision as two procedures due to damage that is almost always present after having the band in.

Just because you haven't had any issues with reflux while having the band doesn't mean you won't with the sleeve. I have seen numerous times just on this forum people having to revise from the sleeve to the bypass.

When I went for my revision I was considering the sleeve, but because of my history with reflux while having the band I decided I didn't want another surgery after the sleeve so I went with the bypass. Best decision ever. My surgeon told me that when he went in I wouldn't have been able to have the sleeve anyways due to scar tissue and damage the band caused. He had to take out a 1 inch piece of my stomach where the band was due to the damage.

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

ShandosMom
on 9/20/18 1:07 pm
VSG on 09/28/18

Oh wow lady Godiva!

I go next week to see my Surgeon to see about getting a revision. I was hoping to get the sleeve after they take this band out. I also thought that it would be one surgery. I have oodles of issues with re flux and night coughs and it sounds like I might have to have the bypass done also.

whithark
on 10/3/18 9:52 am - Bristol, RI

I thought I'd post an update since I met with my surgeon. He does revisions in one surgery (phew!). I am getting an upper GI test done next week. The results of that will decide whether I can do the sleeve or if bypass is the best option. We'll see how much esophageal damage has done by this piece of junk. But, it sounds like once I get all of the appointments done, I should be good to go in around January! EEK!

Jaime 

nicnac215
on 10/21/18 6:40 am - San Diego , CA

I was band to sleeve in 2 surgeries. I'm now 5 years out and may need to convert to rny due to developing severe GERD. Good luck with your surgery.

Jacquiek64
on 10/23/18 6:24 am
Revision on 10/01/18

I had those worries myself my first opinion the doctor did not do to many band to sleeve revision in one surgery. My second opinion they did them all the time. Not 100% guaranteed but unles something major they do it in one surgery. I had a lot of scar tissue. Was in OR 3 hours and recovery 2. I was up and walking that night. I have to say I thought it was much less painful then having band put in. I was on pain meds the first day in the hospital. But when I didn't use the pain pump the removed it the next day. I took a half of a pain pill when I got home from the hospital because it was an hour ride. I'm 23 days out and doing well. Good luck on your surgery.

Most Active
Recent Topics