Can a RNY be reversed?

NeedHelp
on 4/16/06 2:29 pm - Rockford, IL
I am getting ready to have a RNY and I am scared. If it is horrible or I got cancer or something, could it be reveresed? Kim M.
(deactivated member)
on 4/17/06 3:49 am - Fairborn, OH
It depends on how your surgeon does the RNY. If it's stapled, no problem. If it's cut...not as easy. But you really need to keep things in perspective at this point. Just think, all you are really doing is making your stomach smaller, that is the main function of the RNY surgery. Then again depending on your surgeon, some of the bowels are slightly rearranged. While this may seem like a lot, it's really not. You just have to remain calm and realize exactly how far medical science has come. I just saw a guy on TV who lost his arms in an electrical accident. They were able to hook is real nerve from his severed limbs into bionic arms. He moves them by thinking. It's so cool. These surgeries sound very extreme but are really very safe. The only thing that even makes it very hard at all is the fact that most of them are still done as open surgeries. So take a deep breath, look at all the success stories posted here and I think you'll realize you are making a very good decision about your health.
dreams
on 4/17/06 4:30 am - Brooklyn, NY
If your fear is so great about the RNY, why not an ajustable gastric band/LapBand? Your BMI just qualifies for WLS (on the lower end) Maybe you do not need the malabsorbtive qualities of the RNY and just the reversibility (option if really needed) restrictive, and ajustability of the Lap Band. Do not rush into anything if you have doubts especially if it is something such as WLS which is life altering. Read and research the Lap Band, visit the Lap Band forum right here on OH. Bandsters would be happy to answer any questions you may have. Try to get Jessie Ahroni's book "Achieving Permanent Weight-loss with Adjustable Gastric Banding" and Ariel Ortiz, M.D. "Lap-Band for Life". You can get both of these titles from Amazon.com. Also Murina Kurian, M.D. has a Book titled "Weight-loss Surgery for Dummies" which addresses all of the different weight loss surgeries. All the Best to you on your WLS journey- Be sure and not rushed to make a decision. You have one body to carry you throughout life. One thing that did not allow a malabsorbtive weight loss surgery like the RNY or the DS be an option for me was I am still sort of young, want to have my own natural pregnancies (God willing! For the record RNY,DS,VBG,VSG patients have all been known to have successful pregnancies; best achieved when they wait until after their "weight loss window" closes and then some until the body gets a chance to recoup after such massive weight loss). I am "naturally anemic", and really, really feared any possibility of having bone issues in my future. RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH, Much Love, Peace, & Harmony, Leila
Most Active
Recent Topics