urgent question

daniw
on 5/3/06 8:22 am - Rochester Hills, MI
thinking of revision from lap band to roux en y, question Original Post by D Wilson at 3:00 PM PST on 05/03/2006 Rochester Hills, MI - Lap Band (07/22/2004) Hi everyone I had lap band almost two years ago. Although i have been succesful in weight loss i am questioning a revision to roux en y. About one year ago i started having problems with esphogeal dilation. my surgeon has filled, unfilled and filled again. he is concerned about the state of my esophogus if i keep having problems long term. I only have about 20-30 more pounds to lose. more than losing weight i am concerned that if this lap band doesnt work and i need it removed i will gain weight again. my question is, has anyone had a revision from lap band and if so can you help me understand what to expect. i am now at only .4 cc and can barely tolerate that. Havent lost weight since january, but havent gained either. if he removes everything though, i am afraid i will gain. any advice would be appreciated
stacyrtaylor
on 5/9/06 11:06 am - Seagoville, TX
I can't be of much help, but I am in the same boat. I had my band put in in Nov of 04, had a repair surgery in July 05, and my pouch has been overdiliated since Nov 05. Now my aftercare Doctor is refering me to a new surgeon to see about having it fixed. I am further from my goal, about 70 lbs, but my bmi is 33. The surgeon said it needs to be a 35 for insurance to pay for the revision to RNY. I go on Thursday to the new surgeron, and can share my info after that. He did send me for a upper GI and small bowel GI yesterday-----a form of torture if you ask me!!! Good luck to you~
Ms. Cal Culator
on 5/10/06 3:30 pm - Tuvalu
I had my band removed and I had the Duodenal Switch surgery performed. (I think Crystal Schlosser is your nearest DS surgeon, but I'm not sure.) I had esophageal dysmotility...where the food just sits in the esophagus and you can't eat and you're STARVING. Then, when it DOES move, you eat soup and ice cream because that doesn't tend to get stuck. It's a horrid diet. But I regained all my weight, so I was MO again. Therefore, I qualified for WLS. (I had been a self-pay for the band.) My surgery was only two hours. I lost 32 pounds the first month, 22 the second and then it slowed down to the 4-10 pound range. I was a long time recovering, but I was almost 59 at the time of the second wls. it took my esophagus about two and a half months to repair itself. What else do you want to know? Sue
Most Active
Recent Topics