Obese Teen Needing Info

Scott61
on 7/19/09 1:03 am - Canada
Hi, my name is scott, I hope that i can find some information by posting in this forum :D, Im 18 yrs old 6'6 310 lbs, With a BMI of 35.8 I Live in Saskatoon, SK and I am so lost, Our family doctor recently retired so i dont feel comfortable asking a doctor ive never known personal questions. I have come to the point in my Life where i desperately need to make changes towards my health. I was Wondering if anyone Knew of a place in saskatoon that dealt with Teen obesity that could help me with a safe and healthy excersie/ eating Program. I am so clueless as to how i can get help, I dont know how to start getting my health better, and i feel i need help or at least ask questions to understand how i can start making a change.
Thanks for reading!
Scott
lifeslittlelessons
on 4/3/11 6:49 am, edited 4/3/11 6:50 am
Hi Scott.

I would love to try and help you by supporting you in your weightloss endeavor.  I know its hard to know where to start.  I am 37 and have been overweight since after having my first child at 15 so I know what it is like to be a teenager who is overweight.
PlantLover
on 7/21/09 5:09 am

Hi Scott!

I'm not aware of anyplace specifically for teens, but the First Steps program at the Field House is excellent. They do nutrition and food sessions, plus supervised walking around the track. It was designed for older people who have had heart bypasses, but has spread to include people with arthritis, chronic diseases, etc. You would probably be the oldest person there, unfortunately. I know several people who've gone through it and they say it's excellent.

You would need a referral from a family doc, but you can also see a nutritionist for free. She would help you with diet plans, healthy eating, portion control etc. Some are really excellent, some I think got their license in a crackerjack box. 

One thing you can do ifor free is get a copy of the Canadian Food Guide, and start eating according to that.  (You may need to increase calories but try to stick to the types, eg 5-10 veggies a day) Also hit the library up for sensible books -I would strongly suggest you avoid fad diets though! Many of us old farts (I'm 10 years older than you :) have trouble losing weight on very strict diets because of constant fad dieting when younger.

Walking is free, too. Do you like swimming? If you're self conscious (I am!) you can walk in place at home.

hope that helps a bit and have a spiffy day
Ivy

Most Active