This Damned Liquid Diet (also known as Blowing in the Wind)

Danette W.
on 7/31/10 3:04 am - Regina, Canada
Okay I am on the liquid diet.  My surgery is August 9th.  But I have a problem.  I'm hoping someone can answer me this weekend as the clinic isn't open until Tuesday. 

I think I maybe lactose intolerant.  I've developed really bad wind and now diarrhea.  Can I substitute lactaid or almond milk for the milk.  Would one be preferable to the other?

I hope someone can help me.  I'm tired of blowing in the wind.

Thin you later.  Danette

PlantLover
on 7/31/10 3:53 pm
Hiya!

Are you doing protein shakes? I mix mine with water mostly, they're too thick with milk replacements. It's fine to use rice/almond/hemp milk in general, but your specific program may have specific requirements. You can buy lactose control pills at any pharmacy/drugstore too.

If you aren't using a protein shake that's whey protein *isolate*, or non-whey, mixing it with something different won't help.

hope that helps a bit,
Ivy (also lactose intolerant)
Danette W.
on 8/1/10 4:39 am, edited 8/1/10 4:41 am - Regina, Canada
Yes I am doing the shakes and I am using iso xp as part of the pre-op diet. The directions I got from the nutritionist was 80 grams of protein shakes a day to 5 cups a milk. I think that maybe the issue never came up before because I've never drank this much milk in my life. Nearly gallon of milk in 3 days.

I figure they suggested 2% milk because of some of the nutritional values in the milk vs water.

Thanks for the Help

Thin you later.  Danette

PlantLover
on 8/1/10 4:49 am

Oh man, that's a lot of milk!

You're probably right about the 2% being more nutritious; all the milk replacements have lower protein and calcium than milk does.

How long do you have to do the diet?

Ivy
Danette W.
on 8/1/10 7:44 am, edited 8/1/10 7:47 am - Regina, Canada
I my surgery is on August 9th so another couple weeks after that but the milk changed from 2% to skim.

I am going to try the lactaid pills when I finish the lactaid and almond milk I bought.

I'm pretty sure it's lactose intolerance because I no longer have the wind and other issues.

Thin you later.  Danette

Wanda_H
on 8/1/10 8:59 am - Esterhazy, Canada
Hi Danette,
When I was in on June 23 and went through everything with Allison, she specifically asked if I was lactose intollerant.(just from past things that had happened). She told me that I could use 2% if I could tolerate it and if not I could use Lactaid. Hope that helps to answer your question.

Danette W.
on 8/1/10 9:48 am - Regina, Canada
Thanks Wanda,  I didn't know I was intolerant until I started drinking so much milk.  I decided to take Ivy's advice and use the lactaid pills.  It's much cheaper than the lactaid.

Danette

Thin you later.  Danette

Most Active