Help

velvetrose
on 5/30/09 12:26 pm
I am almost 6 months out I had RYN.  Well long story short, I am having some serious problems with constipation.  I drink water, take fiber, eat fiber, and activia and anything else that I can think of.  I was wondering is it ok to use enemas or suppositories?  The nurse that I saw recommended Miralax.  Which is my next step but I need to relieve myself now.  Sorry to be so graphic.
Gina 21 Years Out
on 5/30/09 12:33 pm - Burleson, TX

For immediate relief, an occasional fleet enema should be just fine. Follow the directions on the box. A good rule of thumb is to lie on your left side and hold the solution "up inside" you for as long as you can stand it before going to the toilet. Glycerin suppositories also work well for some people-they have never worked for me.

Water/fiber/exercise always best...sounds like you are already doing those things. Miralax is also good-doesn't seem to cause too much excess gas. If problem becomes truly chronic or PAINFUL be presistant with your doc-sure don't want to ignore what could be a kinked bowel (worst case scenerio).

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

Lynnette S.
on 5/30/09 12:34 pm - Whitesboro, TX

This is very common. Take some Milk of Magnesia and it will help. Yes you can use an emema or a suppository.

Take care,

Lynnette

velvetrose
on 5/30/09 12:39 pm
Thank you very much.  On my way to Walmart now.
timsdanni
on 5/30/09 1:02 pm - Ft Stewart, GA
I am 3 years out - still keep 2 or 3 fleets in the cabnet most of the time - they bet the heck out of tearing yourself up and being miserable -

try tomorrow morning (if you will be home) to get up and drink as much water/cl/tea as you can  - that helps me - if I drink before I eat I can get 1 to 2 litters in and that will cause my bowels to empty - warning do this the morning AFTER you do the fleets or it can be uncomfortable

best of luck and hey we have ALL been there

Danni
Home is where the army allows me to live with my husband

I know what I need to do - I have to choose to take care of me or I choose to fail

Sarah448
on 5/30/09 1:32 pm - Friendswood, TX
Sorry you are having such a hard time (no pun intended!).  Miralax is great on a daily basis to keep things moving, but it doesn't give immediate relief.  I hope you got something at Wal Mart to help you out.

Don't worry about getting too graphic on this board - a LOT of us deal with constipation on a daily basis - myself included - ugh!

The funniest comment anyone ever wrote about me was ::remind me not to have coffee at Sarah's house::    because besides protein powder, I put Miralax and Benefiber in my morning coffee

roar.gif image by sarafina159
 ok..... sorry...  NOT laughing about constipation - it HURTS.  Hope you feel better soon.

Stephanie G.
on 5/30/09 1:39 pm - Rowlett, TX
OK, true confession time...once i went 15 days without going!!  Thought I was gonna die.  Milk of Mag works great as do glycerin suppositories (plus they're really cheap).  Once you get unstopped (pun intended) start working on prevention.  Make sure your water intake is really high everyday.  I also put Benefiber in my protein drink everyday to prevent it and I'm almost 2 years out. 

~Stephanie~
RNY revision from lapband 7/30/07...TT/BL 10/9/08 and at GOAL

Vivian Prouty
on 5/30/09 1:55 pm - Fort Worth, TX
I do Miralax daily in my coffee....it does work but still I don't go everyday.   If you want immediate relief....I always do Dulcolax supposatories.    It gives me relief in 15 minutes.    You can also do stool softeners everyday if needed.    I know lots that do Miralax and stool softeners.   Good luck and make sure that you go at least once a week.     Don't want to get impacted.    That would be terrible.   Good luck hon !!!

Hugs and blessings ~~~ Vivian

GOD GRANT ME THE SERENITY TO ACCEPT THE THINGS I CAN NOT CHANGE;   COURAGE TO CHANGE THE THINGS THAT I CAN;  AND THE WISDOM TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE !!!!    THIS IS MY DAILY PRAYER.
Vivian Prouty      Obesity Help Support Group Coach  "LOSE IT 4 LIFE"

Cruise Director Julie
on 5/30/09 4:17 pm - Dallas, TX
RNY on 11/15/05 with
I'm over 3.5 years out and I still take fiber every night as a preventative. Just consider it another daily supplement and things will be much more comfortable.
Blessings, Jennifer 
253 / 140 (below goal)
If I were lying, wouldn't my pants be on fire?!?
Karla Lewis
on 5/30/09 10:27 pm - Livingston, TX
I chew 2 Fiber Choice SF tabs 2 times per day AND take generic stool softeners from Walmart (4 each morning) and I don't usually have any problems.  Make sure you get in plenty of liquids and exercise helps, too!

Karla

Karla Lewis     337/194/175
Lap RNY 1-23-2006     Dr. Terry Scarborough   Houston, TX
Lipo 4-27-2007           Dr. David Wainwright      Houston, TX
LBL 11-13-2007           Dr. David Wainwright      Houston, TX
BL & brachioplasty  7-18-2008       Dr. David Wainwright    Houston, TX

Most Active
Recent Topics
constipations remedies
BrandonApafe · 0 replies · 24 views
Good morning Texas! 1/3/2024
Laura P. · 0 replies · 100 views