Saying Hi from Austin

sleevegirl
on 4/17/11 3:45 pm - Austin, TX
Just wanted to pop in and introduce myself (gotta love those introductions right?). I live in Austin and am scheduled for a VSG with Dr. Ganta on June 21st. I have a ways to go (hubby is a teacher so Summer is better, we have two kids as well, just works out best schedule wise). I've been overweight since... well, before Kindergarten anyway. I'm in my mid-30s, own my own business and excited/scared/insert-all-that-you-have-heard-before-here.

The only thing I'm really struggling with now is finding protein drinks. I'm allergic to soy and many of the whey ones have soy in them too (you have to look close). Annoying because I'm not a fan of them anyway. *laughing* I'll figure it out, right? I'm just not going to think about the hair thing, if it happens, it happens.

Anyway, just wanted to say hello. Been lurking in this forum for a bit :)

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

Gina 21 Years Out
on 4/17/11 8:24 pm - Burleson, TX

Welcome (insert your first name here)!!! June 21st will be here before you know it. Don't worry yourself too terribly about the protein drinks-or any other "food stuff", really. Most people's "tastes" change somewhat after surgery and time. Don't know exactly why-just know it happens. I became lactose intolerant for several years, post op-can do a little now, but beware of deadly, toxic gas fumes, if I take in too much dairy...I still can't do iceberg lettuce very well, and still can't do pork, of all crazy things (I'll be 9 years post RNY this coming Friday). Some people have trouble with chicken...some with pasta..some with tap water...you just never know...

My fave protein drink is Click. I get it from Amazon, but you can get it lots of places (Amazon is just cheapest I've found-I have it on auto-order, since i use so much of it). I prefer it warm. You'll find the protein that agrees with you--or you may find you don't need a supplement at all--after awhile. at first it may be very diffcult to get enough protein from "just food", but, of course, follow your doc's directions..until it doesn't work..then come back to those of us who have lived it and REALLY know..lol

So glad you stopped lurking and started posting-PLEASE keep it up!!!!!

Gina AKA Nurse Diva

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

sleevegirl
on 4/18/11 4:38 am - Austin, TX
 Thanks, Gina :) Yeah, I'm not worried about it post... I have a two week pre-op diet though. LOL. I'm going to starve for those two weeks, I fear. Oh well, it's all for the cause.

Wow! Nine year! That's amazing! More hope in my bucket :)

-SG

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

Diana C.
on 4/18/11 5:44 am - Austin, TX
RNY on 06/28/11 with
Hello!  I wanted to pop in and introduce myself as well.  My name is Diana and I'm from Leander/Cedar Park (North of Austin).  I just had my last physician supervised visit this morning.  I am planning on having surgery around June as well.  We should keep in touch!
sleevegirl
on 4/19/11 3:40 am - Austin, TX
Ah... yeah, I'm way far in North Austin we're near Lakeline Mall :) Good, we can be miserable together in late June ;)

-SG

Diana C.
on 4/19/11 4:18 am - Austin, TX
RNY on 06/28/11 with
You aren't very far at all.  Maybe 15 min.  Btw, how do you like Dr. Ganta?
sleevegirl
on 4/19/11 8:17 am - Austin, TX
He is very nice, unassuming. From the reviews I expected someone very no nonsense and while he is very straightforward, he also has kind of a dark, dry sense of humor that he lets slip out when you're not expecting it (which fits me well) so I think we'll get along well. I've only met with him twice - once for the consult (which went over an hour - I loved that he never seemed rushed - I felt like I could have sat there all day asking him questions and he would have been perfectly happy to do that) and once a couple of years ago when I attended a seminar he did. I won't see him again until pre-op in June I think, which seems pretty common - I also had done a ton of research so that might be why. I did go in for the nutrition and fitness and then psych eval with people in his office.

I'm self pay some of the testing and things I can probably get done through my PCP and have the insurance cover at least that part.

Most Active
Recent Topics
constipations remedies
BrandonApafe · 0 replies · 23 views
Good morning Texas! 1/3/2024
Laura P. · 0 replies · 100 views
I'm new here
TattooMom · 4 replies · 410 views