Gaining weight

Michelle Pense
on 6/20/11 11:10 am - Seabrook, TX
I am 7 years out from my RNY, disabled due to a back injury (can't work) and gaining weight.  I have gained 40 pounds over my goal weight.  I am very discouraged and making an appointment with my surgeon tomorrow.
In the last 7 years a lot has happened. Please pay attention to your blood work and get it done as you are suppose to.  3 years ago I had to get 2 units of blood, because my iron was dangerously low.  To this day my iron is still too low.  I may have to get a hysterectomy to help with the iron issue.  I am also low on b12 and d3.  I get a shot at my pcp for the b12 and I am on a Rx for the d3.  I also noticed that when my vitamins are really low, I have more pain in my back and lower joints.  Take your vitamins as if they were life saving medication everyday, because they are.  Get a copy of your blood work and make an excel spreed sheet.  Keep your spreed sheet up to date, this is what I did not do, so I had no idea my labs were that out of whack.  This has been years in the making with the vitamin deficiencies. 
This is a warning and it can and will happen to you, if you don't pay attention to your body.  Don't let yourself get so busy living life after surgery and put off taking care of the maintenance you need to do on your body.

Michelle Pense.
Sandi B.
on 6/20/11 1:39 pm - Haltom City, TX
 Michelle, 
Sorry to hear about what you are going through... I too have low iron (always have only got worse).  I had a hysterectomy Jan 2010 and have gotten a little better but still anemic.  My iron gets SO LOW that I take iron infusions anywhere from 2 to 5 treatments every 6 months.  My b-12 is low but my doctor has given me a script and I give myself injections once a month.

LISTEN to your body... it's an amazing tool!!!
*Sandi* 
*Strength... it's inside, beside, behind and all around me*

cajungirl
on 6/21/11 7:34 am
Michelle,

I agree we need to be diligent abou****ching our labs.  Things can change quickly.  I just finished iron infusion #3 of 5.  My ferritin dropped 50% from my December to May labs.

On the D3 you are taking is it a dry form?  Our bodies cannot absorp the fat soluable vitamins unless in dry form.  How much a day are you taking?  If you don't mind sharing what is your D3 number, you can PM me if you prefer.  Vitamin D is so important for our bone health, calcium absorption.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

Michelle Pense
on 6/23/11 4:56 am - Seabrook, TX
My D2  is 1.25 mg (50,000 unit)  1 capsule weekly.  I also take Celebrate Vitamins, which are designed for WLS patients.  Right now I am trying the powdered ones that you mix with 1 cup of cold water.  They have the multi and calcium in it together.  I take one powder packet once a day.  I've tried the other chewable multi, but I kept forgetting to take the second dosage.  I already take too many meds, I wanted one pill, once a day.
I am so not happy with my pcp.  I am in the process of looking for a new one.  One that will listen to my concerns and be diligent about my health.  The last appointment I had was suppose to check my labs again and he put it off until September!  I don't think I can wait that long.  One of my friends also uses him for her pcp and she also had WLS, between the both of us, we have tried to teach him what our bodies need and what meds we can't take.  I feel like I'm wasting my time.  I've had such a hard time changing from the doctor's office, cause I've been a patient since before my surgery.  I get tired of reminding them of what medications I've tried and which ones don't work.  You'd think with an office that is computerized, they would be able to get that info easily.  I'm just distressed about the care I've gotten and the weight I've gained.  Loosing this 40# is going to be a battle.

Thanks for the responses.

Michelle Pense

240/128

10-06-2003

Most Active
Recent Topics
constipations remedies
BrandonApafe · 0 replies · 28 views
Good morning Texas! 1/3/2024
Laura P. · 0 replies · 105 views
I'm new here
TattooMom · 4 replies · 414 views