Dec. 27

txtumbleweed
on 12/8/11 2:59 am - TX
My surgery day is Dec. 27!  Yippee!!  I be traveling to Dallas for surgery with Dr. Barker.  I was just wondering if anyone had used dr. Barker and what kind of experience you had.  Its a 6 hour drive to Dallas.  Does anyone have traveling tips?  Thanks!

Gail Wilson
RNY 12/27/11

Lisa Martinez
on 12/8/11 3:22 am - TX
Congrats!!

It will be like a new "birthday" for you. 
Take it easy & take it slow....follow your doctor's advice/suggestions. 

Lisa D. Martinez
OH Support Group Leader - Fitter Healthier Happier

** OH Magazine Promo Code: Martinez11 **

Karla Lewis
on 12/8/11 7:01 am - Livingston, TX
Congrats. That is a long way to travel.. Good luck on your surgery.

Karla

Karla Lewis     337/194/175
Lap RNY 1-23-2006     Dr. Terry Scarborough   Houston, TX
Lipo 4-27-2007           Dr. David Wainwright      Houston, TX
LBL 11-13-2007           Dr. David Wainwright      Houston, TX
BL & brachioplasty  7-18-2008       Dr. David Wainwright    Houston, TX

Gina 21 Years Out
on 12/8/11 6:58 pm - Burleson, TX

Congrats! Dr Barkers was not my surgeon, but many of my friends have used him, and been happy. I have met him, and he seemed sincerely caring and really cute (2 things I find important in a surgeon..lol)

As for the ride home-I assume Dr B knows you wll be traveling that distance? I ask, because that may play a role in how long he wants to keep you in the hospital, to keep you safe from any post op complications (just a PRECAUTION-not that YOU will have problems. Also-do NOT be in a hurry. Whomever is driving needs to be prepared to stop every hour and MAKE you get out and walk a little-you do NOT want to throw  a blood  clot, from your legs, due to lack of circulation. Most importantly-IMHO-bring a full size, FIRM. bed pillow, with a bright pillow case. It will help you get comfy in the hospital, and you hold it over your tummy in the car, for when the driver swerve****s bumps/you gotta sneeze/cough/smother the driver for hitting a pothole/etc/etc...the bright pillowcase (mine was Barbie) helps you feel better, plus it helps it not get mixed up with ugly hospital pillows.

Since you are going to be a full 6 hours away, knowing medical "people/facilities", along your route, would probably be a prudent idea, too-just because-and having Dr B's people's phone numbers to call if you have ANY questions. You're obviously going to have alot of anxiety, and maybe some pain, so you may needs lots of reassurance.

Best of luck with everything! We're here if you need us and hope you will continue to share your journey with us!

Gina AKA Nurse Diva

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

Most Active
Recent Topics
constipations remedies
BrandonApafe · 0 replies · 42 views
Good morning Texas! 1/3/2024
Laura P. · 0 replies · 116 views
I'm new here
TattooMom · 4 replies · 426 views