Lost 20 pounds since surgery on 2-20-12 - ??

Alma Salazar
on 3/10/12 1:23 am - Dallas, TX
Hello friends,

Is my weight loss good?  I feel like it is but then I feel like I'm eating too much.  I eat so much fruit, it goes down so good. Yesterday I received an award at work & couldn't eat the cake but they brought in fresh fruit for me & I literrally ate & ate it all day long. Grapes, cantelope, strawberrys, watermelon.  It all goes down with no problem & it helps me with the sugar craving. But, is that too much fruit? and can it cause me to slow down on weight loss?

This is my typical day: (please tell me if it's too much food) 
1 banana
1 weight control oatmeal
1 cup pinto beans (cooked myself)
1 cup lean ground beef
1 apple
1/2 tilapia

I'm eating about every two hours and drinking as much water in between. 
Gina 21 Years Out
on 3/10/12 1:57 am - Burleson, TX

ALMA-I don't see anything, at all wrogn with your weight loss total "number". PLEASE try to remember this journey is for THE REST OF YOUR LIFE-it is a MARATHON-not a FOOT RACE. It does not matter how how many days/weeks/months/even years it takes to get to a "number" on that stupid box on the floor. You CANNOT let that scale be your ONLY-or even your MOST IMPORTANT "measure of SUCCESS". What we call NSV-"Non-scale victories" can come so much more often-especially the further out you get-annd be so much more satisfying...

Crossing your legs...Sitting in any chair/booth you want--without having to "scope them out" first...walking across a parking lot full of teenagers, without being afraid of them snickering at you...shopping--for free--in the smaller clothes, in the back of your closet..i'm going to start a new thread-JUST FOR YOU-of what we call "SMET"--So Much Easier To do--since we lost weight--from wherever we are in our journeys--at whatever "number" we are..The responses may be low, as it is the weekend..but you'll get the idea!

Now-for your intake. Yesterday wasn't your "normal" day-right? I wouldn't worry about it, but try not to make the "ate it all day long" a HABIT either. Those "easy to get down" foods--especially "all day long" can absolutely set you up for years of set back. I, personally, know of which I speak, or i wouldn't feel I had the right to tell you this. I am, and will always be, a GRAZER. I had a 70 lb regain, at about 3 yrs out, having never reached goal--by grazing and eating slider foods-even "healthy ones".."all day long"...it took me until last year--at 9 years out--to reach my "number" goal..

I would like to suggest that you start your day with some protein, instead of the "sugary" banana and "carby" oatmeal. If nothing else, put a little peanut butter on that banana, or some unflavored protein powder in that oatmeal. Where are your leafy green veggies, to provide some fiber/vitamins with that beans/meat/fish (those are GREAT protein choices, btw)

You didn't say, but are you taking your daily vitamins? I'm sure you are, but I have to ask (it's the nurse/mama in me..sorry)...

Kudos on the water, between meals, and not drinking WITH meals. That will serve you well. With everything I have ever done WRONG (lots and lots!)--I have never gotten out of the hard won habit of not drinking with meals..

I hope this novel has helped you, at least a little, and hasn't sounded too "preachy". PLEASE know my heart is in the right place, and I only want the best for you!

Gina AKA Nurse Diva

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

Alma Salazar
on 3/10/12 3:12 am - Dallas, TX
 OMG! Thank you so much!! You have given me some great advice & made me feel so much better. 
Liz_G_Tx
on 3/11/12 2:33 pm
hey Alma,
Sorry im so late in responding to you.  Just wanted to 2nd what Gina posted.  She's spot on with her advice and you came to the right place to ask.  I personally cant eat more than a few bites of banana due to teh high sugar content in them but can ea****ermelon lol.  Weird i know.  Also, even at almost 6 years out, i have days where i can eat the house down, then days where I can barely eat at all.  So dont be alarmed if you have days like that...

Keep posting with any questions or issues you are having.... hope to meet you at coffee or dinner one day soon!

Liz

When I was born, I cried and the world rejoiced. Now i wanna live my  life so that when I die, the world cries and I rejoice

mxekin65
on 3/11/12 10:32 pm
Hijack!!!

So.... you help me out and then you dump me like the sugar you dump?  Watch out here come those flying pigs!!!!! LOL

How ya doing girl?

Don't say anything unkind, untrue, or unnecessary.

Grief is not a sign of weakness, nor a lack of faith ...
it is the price of love.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/OH_Rox_Round_Rock_SG/
Laura in Texas
on 3/12/12 12:42 am
You can use this tool to see how your loss compares to other with your same height and starting weight:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/morbidobesity/information/post+op +planner.php 

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Cherokeesage
on 4/17/12 3:38 pm
RNY on 02/24/12
I'm 7 wks out so new at this but my Gastric Bypass Guide says to not consume over 10 grams of sugar in a setting so I've been afraid of dumping if I go over.  I know bananas and watermelon have a lot of sugar so I will be eating small amounts of them.  If I let myself, I could eat a whole watermelon before RNY.

Banded  Oct 2008:  290       
RNY Feb 2012:        245    
Dr's set goal:            170 reached Oct 11, 2012
My goal:                     160  reached Dec 1, 2012
Today :                       145-150

I am half the person I was in 2008.

Most Active
Recent Topics
constipations remedies
BrandonApafe · 0 replies · 28 views
Good morning Texas! 1/3/2024
Laura P. · 0 replies · 105 views