food stuck in stomach

lmp910
on 6/4/09 2:38 pm
My problem is that no matter what I eat the food stays in my stomach and it aches everyday!!  I don't over-eat; I'll have about one cup of food per meal and I can't always have three meals because of my ache.  What does it take to have the food go down into the intestines?  more water?  gas pills?  peppermint tea?  go back to clear liquids?

Today was a crazy food day because i went to a funeral in the morning and a luncheon afterwards...here is what I had today.

8 a.m. peppermint tea (food still there from last night
11 a.m. 3/4 puree oatmeal
3 p.m. 1 piece zucchini, 2 pieces carrots, 1/4 cup salmon

7 p.m. 1 pepcid (prescribed by dr. b-4 leaving hospital)

and water...only about 16 oz.

It is now 9:15 p.m. pacific time and my stomach HURTS.  I took 1/2 of a phenegran suppository thinking I shouldn't  take a full one on 1/2 stomach.

please help!!!  thanks, Linda

Rosebud2
on 6/4/09 2:42 pm
3/4 C. seems like a lot of food, especially something as heavy as oatmeal.

Why don't you try 1/4 C?  If you get hungry, try smaller, more frequent meals for a while.

Go for the 1/4 and see if that helps.  Then up it to 1/2 to see if you can tolerate it.

(23 prior to surgery)   

I'm 5'8"
The old broad

lmp910
on 6/4/09 3:03 pm
I was told to have 1-1 1/2 c food per meal.  I pureed it and didn't need a spoon. Good idea to try smaller more often meals.  I am at 2 1/2 weeks.

thanks, Linda 

alexrichiemama
on 6/4/09 3:01 pm
when was your surgery?  I agree that 3/4 cup-1 cup sounds like a lot even when you are several months out.  The veggies and salmon sound kind of dry.  Also some of the stuff people take for heartburn actually reduces stomach acid so it takes longer to digest.  Maybe try going back to clear liquids--could be your stomach is irritated, still swollen.  Have you called your surgeon?  Did your surgery include any follow up care?
lmp910
on 6/4/09 3:03 pm
surgery was 5/18/09  the veggies were dry, but not the salmon.  So do you think if I drink more than I eat, the food will side on down?  I am calling the surgeon first thing in the a.m.  I went to my 2 wk app't and he removed the drainage tube and said I could have "real" food.

linda

Rosebud2
on 6/4/09 3:06 pm
You are 2 1/2 weeks out of surgery????????????  Holy moley.  No wonder you are having trouble with that much food.  You ARE NOT supposed to be eating that much.  Did you puree the salmon and vegetables too? 

Check out this site:

http://www.hopkinsbayview.org/bariatrics/docs/nutrition_slee ve.pdf

It will give you better guidelines for the eating stages.

(23 prior to surgery)   

I'm 5'8"
The old broad

lmp910
on 6/4/09 3:09 pm

How much did your dr. tell you to eat?  No, I chewed the fish and veggies until they were liquid.
thanks, I'll check out the site you suggested.
Linda

alexrichiemama
on 6/4/09 3:13 pm
I was on clear liquids for ten days, thicker liquids like a creamy soup for ten days, then pureed for 10 days. My stomach was tight and painful for a while following that regiment.  I can't imagine eating salmon with 2 weeks or so.  I think you are right to call the doc and double check your one month diet.  Even if they say it's okay I would go back to clear and full liquids for at least a week to 10 days.  Your stomach is mad about something.  And yes, I would drink a lot more.
Rosebud2
on 6/4/09 3:12 pm
You should be on the full liquids stage right now.  Did you go to the website I added?  It has a lot of information, especially about the post op diet.

(23 prior to surgery)   

I'm 5'8"
The old broad

lmp910
on 6/4/09 3:14 pm
I'm readin it now...thank you sooooooooooo much.  I think I will be able to sleep easier with this information.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 68 views