Do your taste buds change after surgery?

Laurie D.
on 2/10/10 10:02 am - pembroke pines, fl
Do you find that certain drinks that you had pre surgery  are too sweet after surgery? I am afraid to stock up on anything that will sit in the cabinet forever. I hear that happens with protein drinks
bedilia
on 2/10/10 10:06 am - Temecula, CA
Laurie, this is what I have heard from other post op patients.  I've found my taste has changed just while being on my pro-op diet.  Everything seems to taste too sweet.
Christine

laurenmjj18
on 2/10/10 10:14 am - Canada
I got my sleeve on January 15th and as soon as I got home my taste buds were totally different! I can now only drink chocolate atkins shakes. My advice: don't stock your pantry full before leaving, maybe buy a little bit of your favorites and then if you don't like them when you get back, you may like them later.
SharonfromNZ
on 2/10/10 10:21 am - New Zealand
My advice is don't stock up on anything.  I went through a phase of not being able to stand the protein drinks.  Now at 9 months i don't like meat and eggs anymore.  It is not that I can't eat them - i just dont like the taste and smell.
good news is that I have lost the taste for diet coke - which is great as i was a serious addict before the surgery.

BrookeK
on 2/10/10 10:27 am - Arlington, TX
Hi Laurie,

I remember for the first few months everything was so sweet.  My taste did change....at first.

Now two years later I would say my taste is pretty much the same as before surgery.  I still like the things I did before surgery and I still don't like the things I didn't before surgery!

I agree with the other posters here.  Don't stock up.  Chances are right after surgery, your taste buds will go a little crazy on you!!

Good luck,
Brooke K
 I am 5'4" tall

JenCat84
on 2/10/10 10:22 am
I don't think my tastes have changed, but my preferences have. Ditto the others - don't stock up.

I started at 324lbs and a size 26.  After losing 100 lbs, I became pregnant with my first daughter, who was born in March 2011.  My second daughter was born in September 2013.  I have maintained a healthy lifestyle and now hover around 160lbs.  I would like to get back to the 140lbs before I became pregnant with my second daughter.  The sleeve literally gave me LIFE - two beautiful, healthy little girls.  My husband had his VSG with Dr. Marema on 10/1/2012 and is on his weight loss journey, currently down 90lbs. 

(deactivated member)
on 2/10/10 10:47 am - Philly, PA and New Windsor, NY
My taste buds really haven't changed much after surgery. I am, however, more adventurous with foods post op!
Stacy160
on 2/10/10 10:58 am
I didn't think mine had changed at all (but I'm only 2 1/2 weeks out)... I still like the things I liked before,  nothing [allowable] tastes different, but I just had an Isoflex chocolate shake and put s.f. caramel syrup in it to make it a turtle shake, and yikes.... tooooo sweet!  This is the first time since surgery I've had the "yuck" feeling.

HW 258    SW 246.4    CW 166.8 GW 160    
                     (reflects loss from all-time high weight in November 2009)
spreadthepeeps
on 2/10/10 1:00 pm
 I feel like my tastes have changed and it also seems like I am more sensitive to smells as well.  I wouldn't buy a whole lot till after surgery... the three tubs of protein powder shakes in my pantry are definitely a regret!

wendyvanosdell
on 2/10/10 1:45 pm
I have 23 pounds of protein powder in the pantry that I cannot touch, ugh! Fortunately I have teenage boys that think it  is cool to drink that mess. Gag, I loved them before surgery :)
Tried to eat a 3musketeer funsize bar- gag it was  so sweet.
I can smell SMELL everything, gross!
  Wendy  Vanosdell              
   Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 95 views