6 days post op..can I start really walking for exercise?

teetee126
on 4/6/11 3:27 am
I'm ready to go to the gym? Is it safe to start the tredmill?

Lisa J.
on 4/6/11 3:41 am - OK
ABSOLUTELY!! IF YOU'RE UP FOR IT, GO FOR IT!
Lisa J
HW: 277   Day of Surgery: 234    CW: 161 Goal: 135 sounds good but....? Who knows!

HW/277   EVAL/260  PREOP/246  SURGERY DAY/243   CW/162 1/3/2011
felicity2u
on 4/6/11 3:51 am - LA
I would definately check with your doctor.  I started walking the day I got home fromt he hospital but it was around my neighborhood and up and down my hallways.  I did not start on the treadmill until after my first post op appointment with my doctor and he released me to do so.  Take it easy the fist week as you are still healing and while I felt fine when I started walking to fast, I could tell something was up and slowed down.  Whatever you do, just be careful. Take care of your sleeve and it will take care of you!

If you fear nothing, then you love nothing. If you love nothing, what joy can there be in life?
                       VSG-3/3/2011 HW-308 SW-298 CW-152 GW-160
                                                156LBS. LOST

teetee126
on 4/6/11 3:57 am
Okay so this is good advice...I'll just walk the neighborhood! ty

Ms Shell
on 4/6/11 3:53 am - Hawthorne, CA
Be sure to take it EASY....you just had MAJOR surgery even if you don't feel like it.  You've just cut your calories tremendously which means you'll be tired easier. 

I personally wouldn't get on a treadmill I'd just walk.

Ms Shell

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

jbskaggs
on 4/6/11 4:03 am - holt, MO
 You need to walk- but wak carefully. Walking will reduce complications and possible pneumonia but it can also tear your incision (internal and external) if done to strongly.

jb

wanttobehalfofme
on 4/6/11 4:08 am - MI
My Dr. stress walking that the more you can do the better results. I got home from the hosp. and walked on the treadmill slowly.
Kristy R.
on 4/6/11 5:10 am - Santa Clara, CA
 I tend to overdo things if I am feeling good, I have forced myself to take it easy.  Small walks around the neighborhood.  I started back to work today.
~Kristy~ VSG 3/29/11 ~ 15 pounds lost pre-op, SW - 240/GW - 150

(deactivated member)
on 4/6/11 5:34 am, edited 4/6/11 5:34 am
My Dr said NO TREADMILL for atleast another month -I am about 2 weeks post-op. I'v been walking about a mile a day- he said to keep walking best exercise I can do right now.
Lisa D.
on 4/6/11 5:37 am - New Orleans, LA
Walking is practically a requirement of recovery.  I walked a mile 4 days out and 2 miles 6 days out.  Now 2-3 miles 3 times  a week.  I really should be doing more but I walk my dog with me and he can't go any more than that ( 9yrs old.)  As long as you feel good keep moving.  NO jogging, though.   Too soon.  Congrats on starting the rest of your life!
I am not big boned!  Bones don't jiggle!         

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 89 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 304 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 350 views