FED BCBS

ashleyc
on 4/9/11 7:13 am - AL
Just wondering if anyone has had vsg with fed bcbs. I am just starting the 3 month required doc diet.
crystal W.
on 4/9/11 7:25 am - east liverpool, OH
I just finished my 3 months but ended up 11 lbs heavier than when I started so I am now on all liquids trying to lose it.  I've posted a lot about FEP Blue in the last couple days.  I called the company also on 3 separate occassions trying to find out if I would be denied based on not losing during the supervised diet.  Each time I was told loss wasn't a requirement based on the brochure but the bariatric nurse doesn't want to submit until I lose some.

Did your surgeon's office say anything about FED BCBS denying for no loss?  Also, if I may ask, where is your plan's administrator?  I'm in Ohio but the plan is out of Kentucky.  I think it's out of KY, that's the # & address on the back of my card

Good luck and join me in a high five for the Gov't not shutting down!!!!!!!!!
Hayd9654
on 4/9/11 7:31 am - AZ
 I had VSG with federal BCBS in Dec. I did not have to do the supervised weight loss. I have the basic plan and only paid 100 to my surgeon and 227 for the hospital. No problems at all. Submitted on a friday and approved by monday morning. 

Good Luck...

crystal W.
on 4/9/11 7:40 am - east liverpool, OH

does your sugeon's office deal with FED BCBS a lot.  I think I might have been one of the first under fed ins at my surgeon's.  I'd really like to submit now but I'm afraid it will be denied.

Hayd9654
on 4/9/11 8:04 am - AZ
 Yes, they deal with them a lot. As my surgeon is part of a center for excellence so they deal with all kinds of insurance companies. When I went to the required meeting they had a list of the things that I needed to do before they would submit to my insurance. The only reason that I did not have to do the weight loss diet as it was not required in 2010. 

Don't be afraid to submit. From what I heard about those kinds of diets is that they want to see if you could follow a diet. As long as you followed what they told you to do then you should be fine. The worse thing they could tell you is no., and if they say no than you go the next step with appealing ,If you never submit then you will always be wondering. I was nervous also to submit but I wanted the surgery and was willing to put up a good fight if I had to. 

Johari22
on 4/9/11 8:20 am - San Antonio, TX
Hello All,
I have that insurance. The policy changed in Jan 2011.  I was approved with no problems, I just so happen to have documentation of prior attempts and was able to use that info in my process.  My doctor's office did it all.  Fedblue also has the surgery requirements in the guidebook as well.  You can download it from the website.  Fedblue even covers a second surgery if the first one fails, it's all there in the booklet.  They also cover all the types of WLS as well.  Give it a read! 
http://www.fepblue.org/benefitplans/2011-sbp/bcbs-2011-RI71-005.pdf

Hope this helps, but they don't do the plastics from what I can read, but where there's a will there's a way! 

Before they changed the policy, there were no requirements for the surgery, other than the BMI and co-mobidities.

LilySlim Weight loss tickers
A negative mind will never give you a POSITIVE result!
5' 8"
HW 292, SW 280, CW 270.0

crystal W.
on 4/9/11 8:41 am - east liverpool, OH
so you did not have to do the 3 months supervised diet before being submitted?  did you lose, gain or stay the same during the process ?
PrincessPretty
on 4/9/11 8:23 am - TX
Yeah, I had mine done with bcbs federal, it was a pretty fast, too never got denied approved on first try. Also had my surgery on 4/4/11 and i'm doing pretty good

Johari22
on 4/9/11 8:34 am - San Antonio, TX
Congrats Princess,
I'm just trying to make sure that I get all of my water and protein in!  Gurl we on the loser's bench, lol! Feeling good so far! 

LilySlim Weight loss tickers
A negative mind will never give you a POSITIVE result!
5' 8"
HW 292, SW 280, CW 270.0

ashleyc
on 4/9/11 10:18 am - AL
Princess did you have to do the 3 month doc diet??