Depression...HELP!!!!

Specialsister926
on 4/25/11 12:12 am - MI
Ok I had my surgery on 3/7/11 and have been doing very well I have lost 38lbs I am excited but I realized lately I am in such a huge depression.  This weekend was the worse of it, I feel bad for my poor boyfriend he is taking the worse of it, but it is like I can not snap out of it.  Nothing in my life has changed except for the surgery so i am thinking it has to be that, has anyone else experienced this? Help I need to come out of this and FAST!!!!!!!
didim62
on 4/25/11 12:20 am - Kensington, CT
Having this major surgery releases so many hormones and it is very easy to become depressed. Although you say that the surgery is the only change....it comes with many changes physically and emotionally. It might be a good idea to contact a counselor....someone you can talk to about how your feeling. Don't let it fester and snowball. I think that although we have the joy of seeing the lbs drop.....there are alot of other feeling we have to face. Good luck to you and I'm glad you posted because this forum can be a great support.
Didi ..... Sleeved and living my NEW LIFE!!!!

Highest WT 381   Surgery WT (367.8)    Current WT 236
cattywompos
on 4/25/11 12:21 am
Yep, it's the surgery. I don't know why, but alot of us experience some depression afterward.  There is a theory out there that when you lose fat, hormones are realeased causing depression and of course throwing your whole body out of whack. I do believe our hormones are to blame whether it be from the fat or the changes our bodies are going through.  Also, you have done a drastic change in your life and although it is a good change it is hard to get into this new life of eating differently and looking for comfort and joy in other things than food. So, yes, it is the surgery.  You will snap out if it, but it can take some time. I think I was more than three months post op before I really started to feel happy with everything again.
 HW-304 / SW- 286 / CW-198.25 / GW-170

sarytyr
on 4/25/11 12:28 am - Round Rock, TX
VSG on 02/17/11 with
So sorry this is happening to you. I had awful deep depression for the first 6-7 weeks after surgery, then one day it was gone.  I obsessed and worried because I thought I would never feel right again but I am feeling much more like myself now at 9 weeks out.  It will get better with time, trust me, and worrying about when you will be over it does not make it better quicker (I know easier said than done). Hang in there, be kind to yourself. I started counseling and that really helped since I was going through some other major stresses/changes at the same time as recovering from surgery.

~*Sandy*~ Ht 5'7" HW 262/SW 254/GW 160/CW 155

Jenijeni
on 4/25/11 12:54 am
I had to change my antidepressant after surgery... My old one wasn't cutting it. I see a counselor regularly and that helps so much for me! If you feel like you're in "crisis" EVER, don't hesitate to call a help line in your area. Most cities have them... And they are there to talk when you need to. Sometimes it can take a while to get scheduled to see a counselor. Good luck!

HW: 250 SW: 224 GW: 135 CW: 124

Specialsister926
on 4/25/11 1:24 am - MI
THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR YOUR SUPPORT IT HASS HELPED A GREAT DEAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Carmelita
on 4/25/11 1:54 am - Four Corners, NM
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 388 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views