3 WEEKS POST OP ,EVERY THING FEELS LIKE I SWALLOWED A TENNIS BAL

DJNICKL
on 5/8/11 11:10 am
 I AM ON SOFT PROTEINS  EGGS REFRIED BEANS COTTAGE CHEESE ETC AND EVERY THING FEELS LIKE HE GETS STUCK IN MY CHEST AND ITS VERY PAINFULL ,, DOES THIS GET BETTER WITH TIME ... ITS REALLY UPSETTING ME TO THE POINT WHERE I THINK I MADE THE WRONG DESION
Nicki88
on 5/8/11 11:21 am
Maybe you advanced too quickly?  How do you handle full liquids?  I hate that you are having this problem.  Im afraid to keep moving along with what I can eat b/c I dont want to have any issues.
Surgery Date: 4/27/11 Dr. Aceves
AniO
on 5/8/11 11:26 am
So sorry to hear that. I find that too this day if I don't chew enough (and that goes for mushie food too), it gets stuck.

AniO

davensher
on 5/8/11 11:30 am
I felt the same way at 3 weeks post-op. Then, I  realized the bites I was taking were too large and I wasn't chewing enough. It's really true what they say about small bites and chewing! I was eating the same way I ate BEFORE surgery - and that was my problem. Once I slowed down and took smaller bites, etc. I felt much better. I had my surgery on 3/28 and now I don't experience that "stuck" feeling anymore. Hope this helps.
 "Dreams are renewable. No matter what our age or condition, there are still possibilities within us, and new beauty waiting to be born."                                               - Dale Turner  

Jac0913
on 5/8/11 11:37 am - TX
Ditto, I had the same thing happen to me. I really had to focus on my bites and slowing way down when I was eating. Once I got the hang of that, it was much easier for me to eat without that tight feeling in my chest. I had my surgery on 4/12 and I'm on soft foods until 5/23.  Hope that helps you, but if not, you should definitely call your surgeon's office.

-Jaclyn
Height: 5'7 / HW: 223 / CW: 180 / GW: 145
Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy | Surgery date: April 12, 2011 | Dr. Nick Nicholson

Danielle K.
on 5/8/11 12:36 pm - Evart, MI
Any chance you had a hiatal hernia repair?  I did and also had this with everything. Even liquids so it wasn't a matter of chewing with me.  If you did have a hernia repair it does get better.  I can't remember the time frame but I think around 5 weeks I don't remember thinking of it.  Occasionally I'll still get it but it's with the denser things.
HW: 294 SW: 287 Surgery Weight: 271.6 CW: 218.2        

TimeFlies
on 5/8/11 2:21 pm
i had my surgery on 4/6 and i've had the same feeling you're describing.  i finally found that i was eating too fast and, because of that, i was eating too much.  when i slowed down, took smaller bites, chewed longer, then i ate less and problem resolved.  if i get hungry i eat another small meal in 3 hours or so.  hope you find something that works for you. 
    Presurgery Weightloss  -  In the year I had to wait for surgery I lost 62 lbs.

Post Surgery Weightloss    

anjelinaj
on 5/9/11 8:49 am
I had the same thing happen, and that is a perfect description.  Like the rest it seemed to get better if I took small bites and slowed down, but I think the healing process has alot to do with this too.  Your stomach is still very swollen and trying to heal.  I am four months out and rarely have this happen anymore.  Not sure if its because the swelling has gone down, or i do a better job with eating, or a combination.  Give it some more time before you start worrying you made a mistake.  I was on the fence for awhile about it, but now can eat about anything, just way smaller portions. Best of Luck!!
davensher
on 5/9/11 10:44 am

Davensher here (again). I have a small hiatal hernia and I thought that might have something to do with having that feeling when I ate. But, since I started chewing more and taking smaller bites, I don't have that problems any more -even with the hiatal hernia. I love my sleeve, and it's WONDERFUL knowing I have this tool inside me that keeps me from overeating! I hope you find something that helps you and you feel better soon!

"Dreams are renewable. No matter what our age or condition, there are still possibilities within us, and new beauty waiting to be born."                                               - Dale Turner  

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 80 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 296 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 345 views